close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waterfalls Lodge (Ontario) Questions

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by joel_fishes, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Has anybody been there? If so, how was your experience. I heard it is about a 10 hour drive from Columbus, is that true? Does anyone have any other suggestions for something about the same, or less, distance?

I've never done a Canadian trip like this before, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joel

2. catking

catking Banned

I've fished at Island Lake Camp up in Field Ont. A few guys on this site got some info from me and went a few years later. The place is GREAT !!! It has around 10 lakefront cabins, your own boat & motor and is located on a lake with ONE access-your ramp ;) . We were up there a week and only saw the people who were staying there. Great Lake !!! The owners are Gord and Ellie, and are wonderful people. On a map , it's just above Sturgeon Falls, which is right above Lake Nippising. Any more info, just pm me...... CATKING

3. I joined this sight just to respond to your request. I'm sorry to disagree with other members but I have fished at both camps. The people are freindly at Island lake but, and this is a big but, Island lake is what is called a river lake. The water levels can change dramatically when they open the dams upriver and if it happens before or during your stay forget catching fish. Island Lake is scenic.
    Waterfalls is another story all together. It just stinks! The picture the owners try to paint about this place isn't what you get. We fishing the big lake(great lakes) off sight so we could catch some fish. Thankful we brought our own boats or we would have been stuck at waterfalls

jhmottola

4. catking

catking Banned

The fact that this is a river fed lake is what makes it a great fishery in my opinion. Try taking your trip up there in late July or early August. By then , the water level is stable. But you still have a little current in some areas, which makes it outstanding fishing. I look at it this way. Most lakes in the north , that people fish are land locked. Over pressure can result in lean seasons. With a river fed lake, and it is a small river, you lake is always re supplyed with fish...... THE CATKING !!!

5. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

Ive gone a ways up north to caribou falls real close to the ontario/manitoba border. its about 200 miles directly north of international falls minn. The best fishing of a life time. It is a river system called the english river which is part of the winnipeg river. every year there are several 30 in eyes caught and 40 to 45 in pike. Some big bass up there too, meanest smallies ive ever caught. Check out my photo gallery to see some of the fish we have caught. Been there three years in a row, that is how good the fishing is. Also great people run the place, treat you like you are royalty, great food and even better fishing, cant ask for more. www.cariboufalls.com best time of the year is in july or august. ask for ed or karen pries

6. Want A Great Place! Look For La Reserve Beauchene on The Internet. This Is In Quebec North Of North Bay Ontario. It Has The Best Trophy Size Smallmouth Bass you will ever catch even Lake Erie. Beauchene Is Catch And Release for bass But You Can Keep Walleye For Dinner If You Can Catch Them Smaller Than 22". Most walleye on the main lake are over 26". Lake Trout, Pike Even Brook Trout if You Want. $$$$ But Well Worth It! The outpost camp is a house keeping (bring your own food) and the accomadations are A++++ brand new in 2004 on the beach. ask about july 23-30.

Also Island 10 On Lady Evelyn Lake Located North Of North Bay. There is another lodge Pine Island I believe. American plan with great boats and food.

Jhm

7. Thanks to everyone for their input. I will look at La Reserve Beauchene also. I've read good things about it elsewhere.

Joel

8. I have fished Canada (Northern Manitoba) for several years.....Agree with "CATKING"..Lakes on river systems are much better than headwaters lakes.

In fact, the higher the water & faster the current..... the better the fishing......plus the rocks don't seem to bang on your motor as much.