close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

water up North

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FISHERLADY, Sep 5, 2004.

1. FISHERLADY

FISHERLADY Fish OH Master Angler

Well, thought I'd make the long drive up North to do some fishin'. We were in for disappointment last night! lol. Everywhere we went the water was muddy! Findlay and everywhere around there. Including ponds.... Went to some more spots and headed home with no luck. :( Hoping to find clearer water around my area. (Columbus)

2. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Yep... you wont find too many rivers or lakes/ponds up this way that dont look like choc. milk.... its awful, private ponds are about the only thing reasonably clear...

3. just give it time, that rain we had last week still has the river way up. a few more weeks of little rain and the maumee will clear right up and the smallies will be hungry.

4. irishfisherman

Considering how close of a drive the Maumee is compared to sites in Columbus and south west, I really owta hit the that river sometime, i just never really consider it when lookin for somewhere to go :eek:

Can any one recommend some nice sites for shore fishing there for a 1st timer like me ?

5. waterviller, near the dam. if you have waders, maybe near the fort. what do you plan on fishing for?

6. pretty much anywhere on the river is good from perrysburg on up. Cats carp and sheephead can be caught anywhere on the river even in downtown but the smallies are concentrated in the pools around sidecut/bluegrass, buttonwood access, waterville and grand rapids dam area. they really turn on during the fall to fatten up for the winter, and usually this time of year the water is way down, confining them to small pools where you can really nail them. obviously the river is higher than during the walleye runs so fishing is on hold for smallies. cats can still be caught just about anywhere though. just look for deeper slow moving holes and toss out a crawler or cut bait. as far as grand rapids dam is concerned you never know what you're going to catch. large and smallmouth, carp, cats, sheephead, gar, crappie and gills, white bass, and even an occasional walleye are loaded up in there. there were even salmon and some steelies being caught there this spring right after ice out. a few pike can be take there too right after ice out. if i were you i would concentrate on bass and cats as thats the most common and easiest to target. wait till the water level drops and grab an old pair of shoes and wade out. throw some cranbaits, rattletraps, and senkos and you should do fine. topwaters are fun too. If you want to make a longer drive the auglaize has great smallie waters too but there really isn't a reason to drive that far once they turn on right up here.

7. irishfisherman

Again thankyou guys for the info... i'v heard from some guys in work that the river can be pretty bad for wading in places, pretty heavy mud under there?

8. no, usually its hard rock bottom except in a few places. its only really hard because there are some decent size rocks that you can't see and can trip over them. they might me referring to walleye fishing, in which case the water level is much higher and the current is real strong. when its prime conditions its real easy to fish, and even if you fall in its 80 out right now so if anything it would feel good. i don't bother with waders till i gets cold again. just take it slow and feel with your feet before you step down fully.

9. irishfisherman

LOL thanks Mojo, 80 doesnt sound too bad at all for a dip in the river, i guess the water conditions i'd heard about were from the eye run early in the yr. it sure sounds like an awesome smallie fishin opportunity, heck i'm off this weekend, i might see if the wife wants to go to Grand Rapids lol :rolleyes:

What tackle are u guys using up there for the smallies? Are worms & 3inch fire tiger tubes working ok ?

10. i would bet the water will still be pretty up this weekend, and grand rapids is actually the harder place to wade if you're not familiar with it because there are some really deep holes that you can step right into. when its lower water and clear you can see them no problem but when its up and chocolate it can tough. really any bait will work but i would suggest some shallow crank baits, rapala husky jerks and rattletraps are always good, and my personal favorite the senko. i've never tired tubes in the river and from what i've heard they don't work very well. really anything that resembles a fish works well, heck one day during the white bass run i caught 5 smallies in 5 casts just off a white jig. minnows under a bobber and crawlers will get fish too, if not smallies then something else, if you just want to sit and relax. when the water goes down and you find the holes, try throwing various baits till you find one they really like.