close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water Temperature and stripers?

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Mar 4, 2005.

1. I have to ask this question every year at this time. At what water temperature do the stripers start hitting? Thanks!

2. I Dont Know That The Striper Every Stops Feeding But They Do Hit
    The Surface In Some Cold And Warm Water. They Are A Alot Like The Large Mouth Because Of There Feeding. I Know There Probably Is A Time For Spawn But Im Not That Old! :D

3. not sure if it means anything but i seem to see alot more of them hitting shad when the temps get near 50

4. AT THE FIRST SIGH OF TURN OVER THE SHAD LEAVE THE SHINNERS AND SMELT I WOULD GUESS TO RUN SHALLOW.AS THE TEMPS COOL TO THE 50's
    SHAD MOVE TO THE DEEPER WATER BECAUSE ITS WARMER AT THE SURFACE FOR OXYGEN. YOU CAN SEE THEM ON CALM NIGHTS AND MORNINS.

5. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I tend to start seeing them chasing the shad up into the creeks from the river when the temps are around 55 to 65 and the water in the creek is clear...and the river usually high and muddy.

I had a good bookmark on the topic. I will have to try to dig it up from my work computer...I'll post it if I can find it.

6. Rule of thumb is 2nd week of May,they start their run hot & heavy!

7. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

The hybred stripers are at their peak around turkey season. If you zoom in on the 11.5 lb. wall mount in my photo gallery,you will see the plaque reads"May 3 1999". :)