close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water temperature and flatheads?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Rooster, Jan 12, 2005.

1. The rivers are flooded and cold right now, but all I can think about is catching some monster flats! At what temperature should I start looking for flats? I know that I will have to wait a few months, but when do you normally start looking for river flatheads? Thanks!

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

55 degrees is when I will start, I find the best temp is around 65 degrees

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Most (normal)seasons in the past beginning to mid May is the time..but fall has always been my hot bite on the rivers, i dont much care for the spring bite....too busy catching other species..lol.

Scott

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Now ya' tell me Jack!-I dont think it much matters for me!

Hey guys, are my babies doing? (The rods, do they miss me as much as I miss them?) :(

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

LOL.........Melon, i wont break your heart by answering that question..even i know the cruel limit(wink).

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Bryan, yea I agree...You would have just as much luck fishing for Flatheads in January, as you would in May :rolleyes:

On another note Bryan, I have got my eyes on a couple new spots on the Scioto, I think I can gain permission to fish them..You want to come down and poison them also? :eek: :D

I will not fish my old Flathead spots this year, had quite enough skunkings in those spots last year :(

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm going to attempt to work on a couple spots near Circleville. I think the answer will be no, but what the heck, right.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Rooster

I agree with the 55 and up guys from what LITTLE I know and have seen. I've seen where others have caught Flats under 55 even at 47 degrees but personally I will save my gas till about 56 degrees or above .

"Good Hunting"
    <>< Baitkiller ><>

9. catking

catking Banned

60 degrees............. to start........................ CK................. :)

10. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

mellon i'd really like to hook up and do some fishing for some flat! thats my main focus for this year

11. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

I start flathead fishing about the middle of May. But I do a lot more fishing than catching for a while.