Water seperator?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Fishpro, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

How ofter should you change the fuel separator, and if its bad, can it cause stalling? I had problems earlier this summer with my engine stalling because it was vapor locking. Turns out it was a mising screw in the fuel cell. Yesterday, I was running about 4000 rpm and she started stalling out again. I've ran about 7 or 8 trips with no problems since fixing the fuel cell and I'm confused about what could be causing it to do it again. I looked over all the vacume lines and re-checked the fuel cell and it all looks good. I'm hoping its just the separator.:eek:

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

The rule of thumb is to change those out every fall in your annual maintenance for layup unless you are having difficulties. If you are having fuel starvation issues, it becomes a process of elimination. Fuel filter, separator, fuel line kink or restriction. Do you have an antisiphon valve on your fuel cell? Those can corrode internally and cause a restriction.

Good luck!

3. Fishpro

Whats an antisiphon valve?

4. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Fuel tanks have a fuel shut off or anti-siphon valve installed to prevent fuel spills in the boat should a fuel leak develop in the fuel system.

5. Fishpro

How can I check it?:confused:

6. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

7. Fishpro

Thanks for the link. The boat sat for a long time before I got it, so that could be worth looking into.

8. KaGee

An anti-siphon valve is either brass or aluminum and screws(1/4" NPT) into your fuel fitting on the tank. It contains a spring loaded ball bearing that acts as a check valve to prevent fuel leakage in the event the fuel line disconnects or breaks. Looks like this...

[​IMG]

9. KaGee

In my experience and from reading the troubles of others, boats that sit for extended periods of time often need carburetor R&R. They gum up and sometimes develop corrosion internally.

10. Fishpro

I don't think thats the problem, or at least I hope its nothing like that. The motor is clean, for the year(89) it looks almost new.

11. Fishpro

O.k., I took it out today and when I ran it at 4000 rpm, it stalled out within a couple of minutes. I started it again and ran it at 3500 rpm, and it ran fine. Is that a sign of the antisiphon valve being bad?

12. KaGee

What motor are we discussing btw?

13. Fishpro

130 horse OMC Cobra I/O.

14. KaGee

First, check out the simple things... points, cap rotor, dwell and timing.

Check to see if you have a fuel filter up at the carb.

After that the only thing I can suggest is for you to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and observe it while you are running. Any obstruction will show up in a drop in fuel pressure.

I would also sign up at Iboats.com and post your problem here: http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

You'll get other ideas as well as somebody who may have had the same experience.

15. Fishpro

Hey, thanks alot.:)