close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water quality tests

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Phillyfish, May 24, 2007.

1. Did anyone see the water quality tests conducted and reported by nbc news out of Columbus. They did tests at most lakes/resevoirs in central ohio (alum, delaware, hoover, griggs). Alum deemed unsafe to fish or swim because of fecal matter and e-coli. 4 times the level considered safe. You can check it out on nbc4.com. What does everyone think about these readings?

2. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

Hog wash all of it. They go through this crap every year during the ratings period. Just remember that not only do bears sh*t in the woods but so does every other woodland creature and it makes it's way into all of the surface water, not just Alum.

They "set up" the locations to find the results they showed.

I work in the environmental field and have performed these sample collections
    and know that a few random samples are not near enough to give a clear overall picture of water quality. It surprises me that the other locations tested were "clean" :rolleyes:

3. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

Scare tactics, next Al Gore will be telling us that the ice caps are melting and we're all going to drown.(just more places to fish)

4. Sweet...I'll be able to catch halibut @ Antrim Lake.

5. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

I was thinkin more along the lines of tarpon off my deck in the back yard.lol

6. Yikes! Looks like I'm gonna have to skip Alum for awhile. Oh well, I get :S there all the time so it doesnt matter to me now.
    Just wondering what they are going to do about it. What could be done to bring it back to safe levels? Is this the first time it happened? Just wondering.

7. Don't worry man....just hang out for a couple years...I'll invite you all over for beers and live baiting for striped marlin off of my patio.

8. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

I would think those two lakes tested high because they both have public beaches, I saw the story and I do believe they took the samples from the beaches. think how many people take thier kids there, I peeded in the water when I was a kid and don't tell me you didn't. Also baby/toddlers with diapers on poop in the water. That would give you high numbers for those samples, plus no significant rain for what 2 weeks, ofcourse you'll get high samples. this is simply my opinion. Oh ya dont drink the water!lol

9. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Don't forget about all the geese too!

10. There is a reason why the DNR posted on it's regulations Not recommended to eat fish out of ANY body of water in Ohio more than once a week . Raw sewage is dumped into every minor and major water shed in this state . Which all flow into all of the state lakes . Then you add No Till which all of the farmers use now going into the water , it isn't a pretty picture .
    Take Ind. lake or Rocky Fork as an example how many septic tanks and leach beds do you think are around that lake leaching into the lake . Why do you think the Shad population is so good in our state lakes . Stay one evening until dark in July at any state lake and watch all the shad come to the surface and start SUCKING the scumb off of the top of the lake . Shad is the main forage fish for everything that swims in our state lakes , step on one and smash it and then smell the bottom of your boot . OOOOOOOH that SMELLLLLLLLLL cant' you SMELLLLL that SMELLLLL !
    My 2 cents worth .