close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water pump ?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by crooked stripe, Mar 4, 2005.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

I have a 2000 25 hp Johnson and was told that I should replace the water pump impeller. It pumped good last year but don't want to take a chance of having it go out when on the lake. Is this a job one can do or should I take it to someone? I am good with tools and have worked on many cars. Just don't want to spend the big bucks if I don't have to.
    All info would be appreciated. John

2. It's a fairly simple job. I'd suggest getting a manual, as it will show the step by step procedures. The manual will also save money on future repairs and maintenance.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

It's pretty easy. I've done it twice on my motor. Depending on useage, it should be replaced every 2 years. If you use it alot, then every year. Just prevents that motor from overheating and causing a lot more problems.

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

we did it on a 9.9, I'm sure you and a buddy can handle it

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

crooked stripe, i agree with the other guys i did my first one last yr and its not hard at all either get a manual or look online for an explination of how to do it. but its pretty simple if you have tool and car knowdledge you should be fine.

6. crooked stripe

I think I will tackle the job. I have been checking out manuals on the internet and there doesn't seem to be any later than 1998. I called Back Bay and they will special order one from Bombardia (spelling) who bought out Johnson and they want 45 bucks. Isn't that kind of steep for the book? I asked the guy if the book was like a Chiltons manual and he didn't know. After talking a bit I mentioned that I wanted to replace the impeller and he clamed up. I got the impression he wanted all the work for himself. I can understand his point but not everyone can afford the prices the boat shops charge. Any thoughts? John

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

It is really easy. They get hard and become brittle after a few years. I've always heard change mercs every three years and everything else every two years. Very inexpensive to do yourself also. You should be able to find a manual cheaper. Check E-Bay, and call around. I've heard a lot of people complain about Back Bay. Get a Seloc manual. They are very good and cheaper than one from Johnson.

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

crooked stripe, go to the library they may have one on hand or will get it for you in a few days to use. if your not ready to buy one.

9. crooked stripe

I looked up the Summit Co. library and they have 4-5 different books to chose from. I will try the one in Mogadore Mon. The problem is none are newer than 1998. That is all I can find on the internet. Might all the 25 hp Johnson be the same since then? John

10. freyedknot

there is also a website called small outboard motor repair. there are forums there too.

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

12. I bought my manual on Amazon.com. Good selection. New and used.

13. freyedknot

hey milrat i guess you fish too....sbe023