close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water pump

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Brad Jerman, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Brad Jerman

Brad Jerman Blessed Member

I think I know the answer, but if you just bought a boat w/70 Evenrude would you replace the water pump before putting it on the water?

2. I thought that name sounded familiar.;) The web link gave it away.:D Welcome to the OGF site. Glad you could make it in to join us. I am sure you will find this a great place to hang out.

For your motor question, I would say that may want to inspect it if that is something that you are capable of doing yourself. What you want to do at a minimum is observe the water flow from the pee hole. You should get a fairly steady stream coming from most motors even at a low idle. When the RPM's are increased the flow should be strong. If you have reason to suspect that the flow is anything less than desirable then I would replace it.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Welcome to the site Brad, and SWEET buck!

It won't hurt to replace the pump provided you can do it yourself and keep the cost down. Just as a precaution. What year is the motor?

4. Personally, I would, along with a few other precautions. Of course, this might also depend on the sellers maintenance habits and how long it had been sitting.

5. Brad Jerman

Brad Jerman Blessed Member

I did a water pump on an older Johnson, I really need to get a book for the Everude.

I believe it is a 1972?

What are the "few other precautions"?

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Water pumps are easy for a do-it-yourselfer. You should change them every 2-3 years anyway so I am sure it wouldn't hurt.

7. Dont Forget To Check The Thermostats If Equipted. Make Shure There Free Of Debree! ;)

8. If it were mine I'd change the water pump impeller, the lower unit oil, and the gaskets on the LU fill and vent screws. After running a few trips drain and refill the lower unit again and check for water infiltration.