close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Water Pressure gauge

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bmffishing247, Aug 3, 2007.

1. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

How many people run a water pressure gauge on your boat? If you do does it just run like a speedo with a pitot stuck to the back of your boat. Do you find these to be useful?

Thinking about adding one on my boat.

2. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I like mine on my boat, it gets tapped into your main water jacket on your engine, i had extra ports on mine so i removed one of the threaded plugs and put it in place, I watch it and the tachometer mainly, I will look back just to make sure the pee hole is dumping water, I remember one time I had noticed the pressure was way up a piece of a very small stick had got caught in the pee hole and had blocked it off, when my water pump needed rebuilt the pressure had dropped way off so yes I think there a good addition, if you fish during the winter months make sure you add a drain to bleed off the gauge or you will only get one winter season out of it..................Doc

3. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I think it is the second most important guage (after the tach). Most newer engines are plumbed for it. A new water press guage comes with all you need for most engines. There will be fittings to add on to your engine, but many newer engines are plumbed for a water pressure guage already. Big Mercs since at least 2001 will have a grey tube coming out the back of the block, which is usually routed up to the front of the engine and has a plug in it. You would need to buy a quick disconnect to use as a coupler between that tube and the tube that comes with the pressure guage. As an added benefit, a water press guage will let you notice if your thermostats or poppet valve are stuck.