Ohio Game Fishing banner

water clarity

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Tall cool one 
#1 ·
Hey guys.hopin to get down to the OR this wknd. Being that I only flyfish it helps to have some visibility/clarity to the water. Done well to great at meldahl every time I go but gotta have some clarity to the water . Any observations on water conditions? Clear enough to do well on artificials?,thanks,TC1

#2 ·
TC1, if you don't get a response soon, I'll stop by the Neville ramp on the way home and take a look. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you don't hear from me (in case I forget :)). I only live about 10 minutes from there and it's on my way home from work.

It seems like after that hard rain we had, it has taken longer than normal to clear up, but I haven't been to the OR in over a week, so maybe it's cleared up.

CW

#3 ·
The OR is nice in spite of the recent rains. I work for Cincinnati Water Works in the Lab & we monitor the river daily. Turbidity is a value determining water clarity; so a turbidity of say 300 is muddy water, whereas a turb of 25 is virtually clear to our fishing standards. The official turbidity of the OR today is 17. Go & enjoy.

#5 ·
TC1, I'm not familiar with their turbidity measures, but I did stop by Neville today and the water looked muddy to me. Standing on the side of the boat ramp, I'd estimate visibility at about 6".

Let me put it this way, if I were fishing for hybrids or white bass in that water, I'd be starting with a bait that made some noise or moved the water (Ratl Trap, swim shad, rooster tail, etc.) to attract the fish close enough to see it.

CW

#6 ·
TC1, just got back from Tanners Creek, water is muddy, not murky, MUDDY, read my lips with tons of crap in the water, had to run the boat at only about 70% or else I would come up on small logs,sticks too quick, and btw, 2 of us, fished for cats for about 6 hrs, I had the only hit but landed 2 fish, both on fresh shad, a 6 lb channel and a 1+ lb flattie that I didnt know was there, nice little suprise!

Stay awy for another few days,
Salmonid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.