Watch where you're slinging that lead...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steel Cranium, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Man dies in freak fishing accident

BY MARC BEJA | lidesk@newsday.com
    9:44 PM EDT, July 29, 2008

In a freak accident, a piece of fishing equipment ended up killing a Roosevelt man Tuesday.

Jaime Chicas, 21, of Roosevelt, was fishing off a jetty at the west end of Jones Beach on Friday when his 3-ounce lead sinker came out of the water and hit him in the face and then lodged in his brain.

"Suddenly, we saw him laying on the rocks," said Jose Gonzalez, 30, Chicas' brother-in-law. Gonzalez and his cousin, who both had been fishing with Chicas, ran over to find Chicas bleeding from his head.

"We thought it was the fishing hook, because the thread was dangling by his eye," Gonzalez said through an interpreter. "We never could have imagined this."

The trio had gone fishing a few times before and visited the beach often, Gonzalez said. While the sun set, Chicas kept fishing, as the others began packing their belongings. As Gonzalez and his cousin walked toward the beach, they heard Chicas make a whimpering noise behind them.

After looking at X-rays, doctors at Nassau University Medical Center, where Chicas was taken, saw that the sinker of Chicas' fishing pole had just missed his right eye and entered his head at the bridge in his nose. The momentum of the lead weight continued across the middle of his brain into the back left side of his head, where it stopped, neurologist Imran Wahedna said.

"There was so much force that it kept going and it lodged through the back of his head," Wahedna said of the lead sinker. "The trauma was simply too severe."

Chicas was pronounced brain-dead at 2 p.m. yesterday, from severe head trauma and herniation, Wahedna said.

Wahedna and New York Fishing Tackle Trade Association president Gene Young all said they had never seen anything similar to Chicas' injury.

"This has to be a one-in-a-billion thing," Young said.

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

saw this, poor guy.

in this article it says,

this soccer league has some crazy bad luck.

3. What a freak accident. I guess when its your time... Prayers to the family.

4. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

I'm gonna have to say after 50 yrs on ol' planet earth, this has to be the weirdest and most freakish thing I've ever heard. WOW!!! Makes ya think twice about retrieving that snag!

5. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Oh man! Prayers sent.

And it probably could have been avoided even with retrieving the sinker.

It made me think to never pull straight back, but ALWAYS to the side!

6. BuzzBob

BuzzBob Take a Dad fishing

I know in my past I've had lures and sinkers scream past me but I was always able to duck. More importantly I was able to see in coming in the daylight. If it was dark, as the article implies, he never saw it coming. What a way to go.

7. Whatta freak accident, prayers sent to his family

8. This has got to be THE wildest story I have ever heard of. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

9. Had a similar but not as serious thing happen on north res many years ago. Fishing from the steel platforms for crappie in the spring - snagged one of the trees a bit off shore. Pulled hard straight towards me (didn't want to lost that nice float) and it came where I was pulling from - a direct shot right in the middle of the .... (very painful place for us guys). I'm careful about how I pull the snags since that performance of the "nutcracker".

10. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

I know a guy who was pulling on a hung up bullet head jig, 1/8 oz., and it whized out the water and embedded in his calf (he was wearing shorts). He went down like he was shot (which he was).

The emergency room doctor said it was just like digging out a .22 bullet except it had a hook on it.

Buick

11. I took a 1/4 oz bullet weight to the forehead one time. Should have gotten stiches but had my 10 year high school reunion that night, made quite the conversation piece.