close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wat,in & hop,in

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by boonecreek, Jul 27, 2007.

1. can not wate for frost in the air, and river stages at about 30ft. any body feel the same.

2. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

You got me over on the striper forum, I thought the water was really coming up.

I'm definitely ready. This year, unlike the many years past, I haven't fished much after the wiper bite slowed down, so I'm really itching wipers to start biting again on the big O. Maybe a couple of months out...as bad as I hate to wait that long.

CW

3. what weather conditions should I be watching for if I'm waiting on the wiper bite?

4. cold, muddy, couldy, fast current, water freezing up in the eyes of u'r pole, hanging on to roots & trees and limbs to make a 20 foot cast.and don't for get, hands freezing when u pull it out of the minnow bucket. that fishing to me

5. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

OU98, I think boonecreek is a little over zealous on the wiper conditions...although I do like fishing in some of those conditions and have had great days!

I start looking for water temps at about 50-60 degrees, definitely some current which on the Ohio River is about 4-7ft above normal level in my experience (before it gets into the trees...unless your boonecreek :D), and the bait fish start moving in. I usually start catching white bass shortly (maybe 2-4 weeks) before the wipers show up in numbers.

Oh, and always check the stiper forum here on OGF. It just started back in the spring with a flurry of posts, then died down in the summer, and I suspect will start to pick back up once the "season" is near.

CW

6. yeaa!!!, got a little happy thinking of the great fish'in were go'in to have this fall and winter.