Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moving water...
658 Posts
You got me over on the striper forum, I thought the water was really coming up.

I'm definitely ready. This year, unlike the many years past, I haven't fished much after the wiper bite slowed down, so I'm really itching wipers to start biting again on the big O. Maybe a couple of months out...as bad as I hate to wait that long.

CW

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cold, muddy, couldy, fast current, water freezing up in the eyes of u'r pole, hanging on to roots & trees and limbs to make a 20 foot cast.and don't for get, hands freezing when u pull it out of the minnow bucket. that fishing to me

·
Moving water...
658 Posts
OU98, I think boonecreek is a little over zealous on the wiper conditions...although I do like fishing in some of those conditions and have had great days!

I start looking for water temps at about 50-60 degrees, definitely some current which on the Ohio River is about 4-7ft above normal level in my experience (before it gets into the trees...unless your boonecreek :D), and the bait fish start moving in. I usually start catching white bass shortly (maybe 2-4 weeks) before the wipers show up in numbers.

Oh, and always check the stiper forum here on OGF. It just started back in the spring with a flurry of posts, then died down in the summer, and I suspect will start to pick back up once the "season" is near.

CW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts