Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ohio River was in great shape for fishing the other day so I call my brother to go do some bank fishing for catfish. My brother and I tried to do some catfishing this morning. When we turned off the road and I saw the river I could not believe my eyes. It was muddy, very high and fast current with large drift all across the water! I just was stunned by how the river had changed. We did try but, it was just a waste of time; for the river was not fish-able! When I got back home I checked the level 35.5 feet still going up to around 38 feet! Current was 3.5 mph. going up to near 4 mph.

This all means the Ohio River will be messed up till after the 4th. Of July; barring any other major rain storms. So far this fishing season has been a great big frustration for me.

Author of Kindle e-book "ROD BENDING CATFISH"

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
actually we were out today up near Maysville, debris was worst Ive ever seen, crazy slow bite we had 2 bites, 1 fish landed today, a whopper of a huge flathead, maybe 12" long..LOL

River supposed to crest in next 24 hrs and I bet your fishing by midweek as It looks like a fast drop as well from the way they ramped it up so hard. they trying to move a lot of water ahead of time and they had a good head start, we measured water at almost 3 mph along the bank!! crazy...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the forecast pin the river. It will be down to findable range by the end of this week. Not sure if will be clear by then, and still current is a little higher than I like. Just have wait and see how it shapes up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We fished Saturday evening/night and did pretty well. Just gotta find those current breaks. I like the river up and moving. Congregates the fish. We fished a sunken barge and pulled 6 fish and then fished a big sandbar and pulled another 5 fish. Nothing huge but all but one were between 8-20 pounds so I call it a success. Fresh shad castnetted from the creek.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts