Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get lures to fish Bass off the banks of Scioto or Olentangy. I picked these up today. Should I have gotten a few w/out the clear tip as well? Looking to fish in shallow, rocky areas and not sure what to get.
Can anyone explain the clear piece on a lure verses w/out?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Uh, nice name...

Anyway, the ones with the clear tips are crank baits and will dive to certain depths. The tip is called a lip. The white one is a spinnerbait, and should work just fine for bass In a river.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh, nice name...

Anyway, the ones with the clear tips are crank baits and will dive to certain depths. The tip is called a lip. The white one is a spinnerbait, and should work just fine for bass In a river.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Thank you!

So I should have gotten lures w/out the lip for bank fishing shallow water?

·
Shoot Um' Hook Um'
850 Posts
The ones you bought are deeper divers, hence the straight long lip. The ones you want for shallow running have smaller lips and angled down more. Ones without lips will go fairly deep too. Try to get some plastic/rubber worms and hook them Carolina rig with a small slip weight. You can Google all this and get some pics to show how to fish different baits.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Putty,

Those cranks are better suited for lakes. The spinnerbait will work in moving water, but they can be hard to keep down in current at times.

To start river fishing keep it simple. Get some 1/8 and 1/4oz. ball head jigs, any color, though I usually use them without paint. Get some grubs and tubes 3"-5". Any brand will work, and you don't need every color. Something bright like a white, something brown or green, and perhaps chartreuse. These can be fished from the top of the water to the bottom, and catch fish in pretty much all conditions. These can be cast out and cranked. Most of the time I like them ticking the rocks, but sometimes keeping them up works, as well as crawling them slowly. You will lose jigs, but as you gain experience, you will learn how to keep them out of the rocks a bit better, but will still have those days where it seems every cast costs you a jig.

Zoom flukes work well. I use the original fluke most often with a wide gap 3/0 worm hook. Cast it out, let it sink a bit and twitch it. Most of the time, I want the fluke deep enough I can barely see it, or just out of sight in shallow water.

From there, you can expand with some small shallow diving crankbaits. The original floating rapala, small Big-O, Strike King or Bandit cranks designed to dive say 2'-4'. They usually have a squarish bill angled down under the chin of the lure.

For topwaters, a small buzzbait, the floating rap is great when worked with subtle twitches, zara puppy, tiny torpedo, and pop-r all work well. Pick up one or two and expand over time. You don't need them all at once.

With these lures, you will catch fish, and you can expand and add on things as you see fit in the future as you develop your own style.

The best advice I can give is learn to read the water. Look for areas where fast water meets slow water. Actively feeding fish are often found at the upstream end of slower water areas where the slack water meets the fast water, but they can be found all along the current seams, and at times in the slack water, and other times tucked closely behind cover in water you think is too fast.

Fish an area thoroughly from top to bottom, and if you don't catch anything, make some mental notes about the area, and look for water that is a little faster, slower, shallower, or deeper. The fish will move around a bit as the water rises and falls, so an area that is loaded with fish at one river stage may be empty if the water rises or falls a bit. Pay attention to your gauges, and you'll start to learn at which levels you can find fish in certain areas.

I've never fished your rivers, but I know in my neck of the woods, the wet summer has kept the river levels up too much, and other times borderline for fishing, so it may be tough. During dry years, the low levels limit the usable water for the fish, and the fish can become stacked up and lead to some great catches.

Have fun on the river, but never lose respect for it. Far too many people get complacent and pay a price far too great when in or around moving water. If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.

Joe

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Yeah, like other's have said, those crankbaits will probably dive 10 feet or more. A Rapala Shallow Shad Rap [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1344&bih=678&q=shallow+shad+rap&oq=shallow+shad+&gs_l=img.1.0.0j0i5l2j0i24.1106.3666.0.5924.13.13.0.0.0.0.95.969.13.13.0....0...1ac.1.22.img..0.13.965.K4hJTH4XPTE"]shallow shad rap - Google Search[/ame] is a great lure for what you want. Or crankbaits that look like this:[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1344&bih=678&q=shallow+shad+rap&oq=shallow+shad+&gs_l=img.1.0.0j0i5l2j0i24.1106.3666.0.5924.13.13.0.0.0.0.95.969.13.13.0....0...1ac.1.22.img..0.13.965.K4hJTH4XPTE#hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=shallow+crankbaits&oq=shallow+crankbaits&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.4907.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..22.img..0.0.0.4HjJf6GjYHg&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=e44a082d64c8af52&biw=1344&bih=678"]shallow shad rap - Google Search[/ame]
The spinnerbait is perfect.

Check out this thread: http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?p=1668334#post1668334

and this

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=222400&highlight=top+smallie+lure

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Those cranks look a little too deep. If you had to use them,reel them in slower and let them float up and reel in some more.

I'm with grubman and jigheads with twistertail grubs are a universal fishing asset.Lakes,rivers,ponds,etc. They will catch a lot of fish in most situations and work best in the early spring for the walleye/saugeye/and white bass river runs. Roostertails also another good weapon to have.Rebel craws also a good thing to have for rivers. Floating rapalas are great! They have the smaller clear bill on them.

Not sure what you want the snelled hooks are for,but I'd use them for tightlining cats and eyes at indian lake and at the start of the great miami river up here my way.That part of the miami is pure mud and looks like chocolate milk.Tightlining heaven along for those eagle claw snelled hooks!Easy to take off for those hook swallow yellow bullheads and they get pretty good size up here. I'd run double snelled hooks with a bass sinker on bottom so that sinker sits on bottom and 2 snelled hooks dangling above the bottom.Just gotta have a leader onto your sinker and between both snells. Catfish,carp,saugeye,walleye,white bass,practically anything will hit that when rigged with nightcrawler.Even a 32" northern pike hit my rig many years back.Not a whole lotta bass in my section of the river but the twistertail jigs took a few saugeye in there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome info, guys....Grub, thanks for taking the time to write all that. Today, I returned those deep water lures and bought all this. I also learned how to rig a senko weedless. I did that today as well. Learning a lot on here...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Putty,

Anytime! Looks like a good haul. Senkos are a staple for many, but never seem to work well for me. Maybe I spend too much time working them instead of letting them work for me, as the commercial says.

Let me know how those Yum Craw Bugs work for you. I've got a box full of them that I haven't used in years. I took them to the river in Canada with me, and never landed a fish on them. I had lots of panfish feeling pickups. I'm not sure whether they were bass were trying to pull off the claws, or whether they were rock bass grabbing them, but I got frustrated with them and haven't used them since. I've often thought that they have to have an application somewhere, as the size, colors, and details are impeccable. I had to wrap wire around the shank of the hook to keep them upright, but that can be solved with the belly weighted swim bait hooks they have now. I just might have to pull them back out sometime.

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey putty that second pic looks like some real good stuff. Those shad raps are a staple in most fishermans bag. Id also recommend a Rapala CRR3 in crawdad color for shallow rivers and also kvd 1.5 crankbaits. Also the senkos are always good, myself fishing smaller river id prefer the 4 or even as small as 3 inch in natural brown. Many guys have said 1/8th oz jigs and grubs which is good my advice on that would be go get yourself some black tubes and stuff those jigs in the tubes they are killer on small rivers. goodluck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts