close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Warning !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Upland Game and Hunting Dogs' started by Snag06, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Take this as a warning to anyone that hunts or is planning to hunt doves at Salt Fork. I was out Saturday morning along with about 30 others in 1 field off of SR 22 near Salt Fork and recieved a ticket for shooting a dove off of a powerline. For the record I did no such thing but according to the warden his 2 field officers called him and said that when a "guy with a brown hat and camo pants" comes out that he shot a bird off a wire. So now based on "here say" I have a $40.00 fine to pay. However I can contest in court but the court costs are $80.00 not to mention lost wages. What a great state we live in! When I asked to talk to the "field officer who falsly accused me" I was ignored! The warden said he was "just the messenger" and didn't want to here a word I had to say! I now refuse to hunt in Guernsey county and set myself up to be falsly accused by our great wildlife officers who's apparent adgenda is to write tickets to make the state money! Had I done somethig wrong I would quietly pay the fine and let it go but I have a real hard time with signing a ticket and admitting guilt to something I did not do. What choice do you have the way the system is set up. It cost you more $ than the fine to fight it and there is no reprocusion for the accusing officer. A win win situation for them! And Ohio wonders why people aren't buying hunting license!

2. Snag,

I would dispute it. It costs the ticketing officer a day in court too. I would subpeona both the ticketing officer and the field officer. That way the state has twice the resources as you going to waste. A few hard heads like that would make them start thinking twice about writing crap tickets when their field agents start getting tied up in court with disputed tickets rather than where they should be (ticketing actual violators)

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Why on earth would you sign the ticket...??? :confused: Fight it, you were accused based on the clothing you were wearing...! Sounds like a classic case of profiling to me (that was a joke, sort of)...! :D Though he was only the messenger, he's got some damn explaning to do.

My .02...GOOD LUCK...! ;)

5. I didn't sign it. The question is is it worth the cost to me to fight a $40 fine? Do you think for a minute that he would try to pull this on a local? They are banking on a person 60 miles away just paying the fine! What bites is that my time and money spent fighting it won't be reimbersed to me. Either way I'm the one who loses! Our great judicial system!

6. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Okay, your original post sounds like you did sign it...but since you didn't, that's a good thing.;) I'd say at this point. how important is it to you...? Pay the $40 or take your chance on TOTAL VINDICATION? I wouldn't settle for anything less than walking away without paying any fine or court cost based on the info you posted. It's your decision, again good luck with whatever you decide...! ;)

7. I WAS DOWN THEIR SATURDAY TO DO SOME FISHING WHILE i WAS TALKING TO THE FELLA AT THE BAIT STORE HE ASKED IF I WAS GOING HUNTING TODAY. I SAID NO WHY? HE SAID THE WARDEN THEIR REALLY WANTS TO MAKE A NAME FOR HIMSELF AND WOULD PROBABLY WRITE HIS OWN MOTHER A TICKET IF HE COULD . HE WAS SAYING HE DOESN'T CARE IF YOUR LOCAL OR FROM OUT OF TOWN YOU BETTER DO EVERYTHING PERFECTLY.

8. I had a similar experience several years back with a new Trooper who just happened to be running around in a state park, I was hunting and noticed him pulling people over left and right up on the road, when I moved to another spot he pulled in behind me and ask for my hunting license..I showed him...then he asked for some ID..I gave him my drivers license...when he couldnt get anybody to run my license over the radio he copied down all my info and said he would run it later(I knew he was a rookie because there was a older officer in the passenger side just watching) while he was trying like the dickens to run my license I ask him if there was a problem??? and he said that I was on State property and he had the right to check me out at any time for any reason(or no reason) when push came to shove there wasnt any harm done and it only took up about 10 minutes of my time...its just that I felt like a crook the way he was running all my info.

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Aren't you required to sign the ticket? Signing is not an acknowledgement of guilt. It just for proof that you received the ticket.
    Regardless I hate when politicing or ladder climbing takes priority over fair enforcement of the law.

10. He gates paid for court, & it sounds like this guy gets his ROCKS off by doing what he's doing.
    If its a clear violation then fine, but in my opinion you got a RAW DEAL! Me, I'd fight it. Principle overwhelms my thinking, just the thought of it is *&#$*&# WRONG!
    Nik,

11. I would fight it was well. If you win you won't have to pay court cost or anything. Good luck really sucks for you. He shouldn't have wrote the ticket if he didn't see you do it him self b/c how many guys are in there with a brown hat and camo pants????? I bet a bunch.

12. Been hunting in Ohio for 20 years. Only time I have had any run in with
    wildlife officers has been opening weekend of Dove season on state land.
    Every time I hunted doves on state land since dove opened in Ohio, officers were there waiting on the trail to the parking lot. Never was in violation, but got tired of running through the hoops. Stopped hunting public land for
    doves. Never even asked for my license when pheasant or rabbit hunting
    despite running into officers and talking to them in the field while hunting.

Hard call to fight it or not, if money is tight guess I would pay it and never hunt there again.

13. I called the District office and it fell upon deaf ears as well. Go figure. You know it is a real shame that we are to teach our children that police officers are our friends. When my 7 yr old asked why I was so upset you can guess what I told him! I hope this officer can sleep at night knowing the image he potrays as a law enforcement officer.

14. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Take plastic gun, act like your shooting at Doves, get ticketed again, then take it to court:D

It would be nice if this could happen, but I'm assuming you only get to hunt on the one day drawn?

15. its all about how much $$$$$$ they can suck out of you. I for one would of told him I didn't do it and I will see you in court.

16. The problem is they get paid to be in court so they could care less! What's a real shame is that "we" pay them to treat us this way!

17. This kind of thing happens -- because WE ALLOW IT to happen.

In a democracy, folks get the kind of government they deserve.

Stand up for your rights, or kwitcherbitchin.

18. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Okie dokie.
    I guess you deserve the ticket since you live in a democracy. Deep, real deep. Wow.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Dang man, sounds like a raw deal. Right is right so man I'll donate $4 to your cause. Now get 19 others to do it and we'll pay the $80 court costs. I am serious. A man is only as good as his word and it sounds like you are telling the truth and I have no reason to think your lying. Come on folks, are 19 more people good for $4.00?

20. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

It's a true shame to the respectful outdoorsmen when things like this happen, public land or not.

My Honest Opinion, couple of guys didn't meet their quota so they stick together taking it out on whomever they want and nobody can do a thing about it. Your word against his or theirs doesn't mean a thing.

I got a traffic ticket a couple of years ago for disobeying a police officer at the scene of an accident. Green light, he was out in the middle waiving his flashlight telling me to go on at 20mph, then starts yelling and screaming and telling me to pull over, I did and got a ticket for it. Even had a witness with me when I went to the courthouse the day to fight it and the judge said its you or him I have to believe, even after he talked to my witness and read the report and I told him exactly what happened, I still got the ticket and paid for court costs. Cop even told me that he had somebody else not pull over earlier and his chief chewed his ace out, guess he took it out on me, and left that out of the report. I say suck it and pay it and keep it at a minimal although nobody would expect things like this to happen your going to be on the losing side. Sucks bad...I feel for you. Better to spend 40 then 80 and lose a day of work.