close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WARNING! Theft at Alum Creek

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Jordy24, Nov 2, 2017.

1. I fished Alum creek from 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM today. I pulled into my second location (the parking lot on the west side of the dam off of Lewis Center Road) around 12:50 and noticed there was a car with the window busted out of it. My initial thought was that someone left their car there overnight and it was broken into. I fished along the rocks for about half hour and went back to my truck. When I arrived in the parking lot I noticed a lady taking pictures of the car and she was on the Phone with 911. I waited to speak with her and she told me she had only been there for about 45 min. Within that time someone IN BROAD DAYLIGHT busted her window and stole her wallet. She said they had already made at least one charge to her card... I just wanted to make anyone who fishes or walks at Alum creek aware.

2. flounder

flounder 2 min 30 sec from Hoover

The sucks! Thanks for the heads up.

3. Appreciate the heads up, that is pretty bold.

4. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger Bronze > Gold

Pretty common occurrence. Read just about any police blotter in central Ohio and you'll see it littered with items stolen from cars in parks, grocery store parking lots, and at the gym parking lot. Heck, a friend had a leaf blower stolen from back seat of his truck at Home Depot in broad daylight. The best way to avoid this is don't leave items of value in plain sight.

T-180, Flathead76 and Snakecharmer like this.
  5. Now thats wild... I fished today and parked at New Galena ramps... When I went to load up, I noticed someone had gone through my Suburban and had dumped a half bottle of pop all over the front seats. Nothing was missing as I keep nothing important. Although I had about 60 bucks worth of cigars that were not taken... They obviously dont know what they missed. I left about 3:30 3:45...

now that I think about it... Those cigars were in my glove box and when I got in the car they were on the seat... I think now, someone might have scared them off....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  6. mocha

mocha

need 20 bill and a beaver trap it would be fun to watch

Shortdrift and chet like this.
  7. Hey times are tough!

8. jray

jray

Got my window busted out last year at alum in daylight. Rifled through a bunch of junk papers and found absolutely nothing. 200 dollar box of stickbaits in the backseat left untouched. Still cost me 200 bucks for the window and has definitely effected where and when I fish. Just makes me sick

9. Last summer, my son left his iPhone in our SUV in the center console. I forgot to lock it after launching the boat and it was gone. That particular day, I remember there being several park rangers walking around. These thieves are bold and seem to be pretty good at breaking into cars in broad daylight even with law enforcement around. If you think about it, they can watch you drive away in your boat. In my case, all they had to do was act like it was their own vehicle since I left it unlocked.

10. jray

jray

It's funny you mention about watching you walk away, the day I got hit I saw a van sitting in the same parking lot I was in. There was someone sitting/sleeping in the drivers seat when I walked past. At the time nothing appeared odd but in hindsight I guess it makes sense. Also last week i saw a bunch of glass at the galena ramp so I suppose no place is safe. I've considered leaving a note on my truck that says there's nothing of value inside but if you want to look for yourself just hope I'm not watching from the woods.

11. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I have two funny theft stories from when I was working at a Harbor Freight store.

Someone tried ramming a vehicle through the big back door in the warehouse. They knocked it out of its tracks and tore some of the frame off the wall - but the forklift was parked right there so they never got through. That must have felt pretty solid when they hit it.

The store takes returns of defective merchandise. Those go into big pallet-sized boxes and are sent back to the distribution center. One day we needed room in the warehouse so they stashed two of those boxes behind a shipping container for about two hours. Someone cleaned them out and got a big bunch of broken crap.

The Hayden Run park frequently has broken car glass in the lot.

12. jman

jman

We live in one of the developments on the east side of Alum. My neighbors knows a Delaware deputy. Ever since the outlet mall opened shoplifting has increased exponentially. Smash and grab technique is supposed to be very common up there. Not just at the outlet mall but surrounding businesses as well. Burglary and theft have also increased in our neighborhood. Deputy stated most of it is the vermin from Columbus that come up to the outlet and then see what's here and the new target opportunities available.

I fish from shore and walk my dog occasionally by the lake. Based on the comments above and the ilk from the outlet mall, it is the main reason I obtained my CCW license this past summer.

Tatonka likes this.
  13. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

You think that has to do with the Homeless camp under the bridge? Im usually not one to bother / complain about the homeless, but that camp is getting sort of outrageous...

14. That sucks - Thanks for the heads up - I know when I leave the truck I always make sure there is nothing out on the seats to even entice someone.

15. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

It has been a while since I've been there and I haven't seen that camp. I'm surprised that the police are letting that happen.

The lot at Hayden seems very visible but that depends on the traffic. There are plenty of times when there is no one driving by, enough time to break a window with no one in sight. Anybody visiting the park is probably down in the gorge, out of view.

My avatar pic is from Hayden, before the boardwalk was installed.

16. Unfortunately this is becoming way to common. I’ve had my car gone through several times at home and my garage broke into and an atv stolen. Grove City PD caught them one time because they had stole our mail and they found it on them. They were two brothers with opioid addiction that live in the same neighborhood as me and got charged with felony theft because there was a check in the mail for my wife’s truck payment. Now I leave my vehicle unlocked with absolutely nothing in it to avoid the broken window.

percidaeben likes this.
  17. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Yeah theft of mail gets some pretty serious penalties.

18. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Makes two of us that are surprised.

You should see it down there, they have high-dollar Grills, ventilation systems, I mean the whole nine yards. You got me why the City is allowing it...

wallen34 likes this.
  19. It is outrageous down there. Although one time the lady living there offered me a sandwich (which I politely declined). Back to the original topic I make sure to never leave anything valuable in my car and make sure nothing is in view, don't know if it helps or not though.

20. I quit locking my vehicles years ago. Nothing in it. Nothing to steal. No broken windows to deal with.

Snyd likes this.