close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WARNING: Check your bank statements...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fastwater, Nov 18, 2017.

1. person I contacted at Kroger corporate is say's she knows nothing. Certainly not unusual for a corporation to deny issues till they have to..

fastwater and Snakecharmer like this.
  2. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

One thing I've done with cards is, on the back where you're supposed to put your signature, I write ASK FOR ID. But it never matters.

3. Lazy 8

Lazy 8 HoHoHo

Right or wrong, good or bad, one thing I never do is use a card at the pumps or a dicey, small, place of business. I pay cashola.

fastwater likes this.
  4. For the most part I have only used cash for about 10 years. They still skimmed my debit card a couple years ago. I know it was at one of two places because they were the only places I used my debit card. Since then I don't use my card and it sits in a drawer and I use cash everywhere. For online shopping I use a prepaid card and only put on it what I am planning on spending so if someone did steal it there would only be a couple dollars for them to steal. We still pay bills the old fashion way and I also shred every paper and piece of mail that we throw out. I do carry a credit card for emergencies but my wallet is lined with tin foil to reduce the chance of someone being able to use a card reader to get my info. Will all this stop me from future problems that is hard to say but it definitely reduces my risk.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Lazy 8 likes this.
  5. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Here's a laugh, my sister's idea of securing papers in the trash: Dump kitchen waste on it. Too messy for anyone to tamper with it.

Sometimes when someone says something stupid like that I just sort of nod and agree and don't bother trying to convince them how dumb they are.

6. To a certain extent she is right....She is probably more exposed to credit card scanners, stuff like the BC/BS breech, Equifax breech etc....While I recommend a good paper schedder, the crooks are everywhere but look for easier targets than statements with coffee grounds on them......

7. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I should explain that when she said that, she was living in a 4-story apartment complex where the trash went down a chute into a dumpster. I agree that making a mess of the paperwork might not make it the most attractive target, but to think that assures security is just silly.

Snakecharmer likes this.
  8. steven miller

steven miller Stevo 56

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I have Check ID on the back of my credit cards, no signature. I rarely use it however, have no debit card and mostly use cash. I never had a problem.

10. Unless I'm mistaken credit cards cannot be "scanned" by an rfid reader in a crowd. It would have to be a specific type of card, wireless cards, like ExpressPay or PayPass.

On another note, between Yahoo, Equifax, the Government hack, Kroger and countless others, chances are you're info is either already hijacked or is going to be. Not to sound like a broken record but, check accounts weekly, change passwords often and even an ID protection service isn't a terrible idea.

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Those are awfully expensive. Just put a freeze on your credit profiles at all three credit bureaus.

12. What a coincidence, just read this post and at the same time on ABC6 news they just stated that Uber hid their security breach from the public that they had awhile back for better than a year.:rolleyes:

Lazy 8 likes this.
  13. I've said before, it does not matter if you online bank or use a CC. Wife and I were hacked because of some genius computer programmer who wrote a program sending out countless strings of numbers till one hit... which was our account. Just gotta live life and deal with endless BS.

fastwater and Lazy 8 like this.
  14. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

There's a story about a guy who had one of those toll booth pass cards, I think it was in Boston. He returned it via UPS and it rode around in the truck for a while. The truck passed a bunch of toll points and he got billed for all of them without actually being there.

15. MuskyFan

MuskyFan This year is flying by too fast....

Damn! That would suck...

16. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

As a side note, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot what is this?
    copyright.png

17. FOSR
    The bad grammar and typos indicate this is our friends in Nigeria, although it could be India as the only two Copyright Acts of 1957 that I am aware of are in India and Korea. I would guess they are wanting the info to remote access your computer.

18. MuskyFan

MuskyFan This year is flying by too fast....

We get emails once in a while saying that our Windows is frozen and we need to send them info to fix it. The wording is clearly not your everyday English.

19. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Yeah anything like Please update your account information is a dead giveaway.

20. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I got another phishing message. This one says Linkedin has a message for me, click here.

First, it comes from telepak.com. Second, hover the pointer over the link and it points to au-hotel.com.

linkedin_phishing.png