close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wanted Melting Pot & Large Sinker Molds

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 5, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

0   0   0

After borrowing a melting pot & a mold, I'm hooked into making my own sinkers. Does anyone have a melting pot & sinker molds, 3 ox or larger that they want to sell or trade?

2. dip

dip dip

0   0   0

didn't realize it was that much of a thrill mr mellon :confused: i got 2 melters and 6 molds (not for sale/trade) but i sure don't enjoy making 'em! made nuf last winter to last me at least 4 years! i use the weights from all the throw nets i tear up.... handy sized and soft lead so melts and pours good.

3. H2O Mellon

0   0   0

Hey there Dip, thats a good idea. I live a pretty boring life, I guess. I had fun making them. I saw CatfishConnection has no rolls up to 8oz. The mold has 6 & 8 oz is one I'd like to have. Boy if I had an extra $100, okay an extra $50, I'd also settle for $25, $10 ?, if I go through my Jeep seats & my kids toy boxes I bet I could find an extra $5. Hey can I melt down pennies, nickles & dimes? :D

4. Ol' Whiskers

Ol' Whiskers

0   0   0

www.barlowstackle.com

I bought the DoIt molds for 1 to 3 and 3 to 5 ounce no-roll sinkers. Barlows had the best price around at the time, I think they were $27 each. I'll be ordering the 6-8 shortly, as we always seem to be in heavier current. I also pour the bank type from 1/8 to 5 ounce.

As far as lead sources, I've used wheel weights for a long time, but since most are made for alloy wheels lately they need more heat and are a lot "dirtier" to pour. Guess it doesn't matter much when you leave a couple hundred pounds a year to snags. I don't pay for wheel weights, but did buy 75 lbs of flashing and scrap pure ingot at our local scrap dealer. He wanted 25 cents a pound, I gave 18 'cause there was so much silicone sealer on the flashing. I melt all my lead into 1 pound ingots to clean it up, and it's then more predictable when pouring. You can also mix wheelweight alloy with the pure lead as you like, by keeping track of the count of ingots you put in the pot. I do mine outside, in the breeze, to guarantee ventilation.

Pouring you own is definitely a savings over store-bought. I've seen 3-oz bank sinkers sell 2 for $1.59! Even with purchasing scrap lead, you can triple or quadruple your money.

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

0   0   0

Brayn, catfish connection sells any mold you may want up to 8-oz

6. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

0   0   0

Mellon ya got me wanting to get a mold also,lol So if anyone has 2 molds that would be nice. Those you poured were pretty cool. Thanks for letting me have a couple, I'll be testing them this weekend!

7. H2O Mellon

0   0   0

Jack,

I've already looked at them @ Catfish Connection, in fact you may get a PM soon!

8. cat daddy

cat daddy

0   0   0

OK BRIAN , U HAVE HAD MY MOLD LONG ENOUGH :D , AND U POURING FOR EVERY BODY ELSE :p , LOL LOL , I AM BLESSED U ARE ENJOYING IT , EBAY HAS THE POTS ON THERE EVERY SO OFTEN . IT TOOK ME A MONTH TO TALK THE BETTER HAVE IN TO LETTING ME SNAG THE MONEY OUT OF THE HOUSE HOLD BUDGET TO GET IT , I HAVE 60 LBS OF LEAD COMMING SOON .HEY DID U ASK JACK ABOUT FISH THE SCIOTO , ILL BRING THE BAIT , NICE BIG GOLD FISH.

9. H2O Mellon

0   0   0

Catfish c onnection has the exact pot for $43 & the molds for $26 !!!!!

10. lark101_1999

lark101_1999

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

get a bottem pour pot ull love it evan more all the wast flots to the top and u can pour about as fast as u can feed it

11. Abu65

Abu65

0   0   0

I pour all my sinkers no-rolls up to 8 oz. bank sinkers up to 5 oz. & eggs up to 5 oz. and a variuos assortment of lead heads and worm & split shot. I had a lee bottom pour but it finally went bad. Now I us a cast Iron skillet on a turkey deep fryer burner & 1 of those cast iron ladels, I like this method alot better for the larger sinkers as they do not wrinkle because you get the max amount of lead going in at 1 time. I have found it best when pouring the no rolls to keep a little oil on the tips of your gloves to lube the pins with & 2 people work best one can pour and hold the mold while the other guy pulls pins & trims excess. Just my thoughts...Abu65

12. getinjiggy

getinjiggy

0   0   0

Ive got a plastic pot but doubt I will ever part with it. Check out lurecraft.com I buy most of my things there. You just need to shop around to get a deal. Glenn

13. Ol' Whiskers

Ol' Whiskers

0   0   0

Got my new 6-8 NoRoll mold. Took a cue from Abu65 amd picked up a turkey fryer on clearance at walworld, and a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet. Robbed the propane tank from the grill. Beats the old gasoline pump riveters furnace I have, and allowed a very fine control of the molten lead temp. No more boiling lead is cleaner and easier to pour. Melted 125 lbs ($.25.lb at scrap yard) of scrap lead pipe and roof flashing and 50 lbs of wheelweights (free for scrounging) into ingots in just about 2 hours. Poured some norolls (about 8 hits each) in 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8. The new mold worked great. Smoked each cavity real good in a sooty acetylene flame and it poured first time.

Here's a tip - for the core pins, go to Tractor Supply or any welding supply house and get a 1 lb tube of 3/32 oxyacetylene copper-coated steel filler wire. Cut into 4 3/8 inch lengths, and bend one end over on itself about 3/8 inch. I made a hundred pins for 5 bucks, poured all at one shot (saves fuel), and pulled the pins when I was done pouring.

14. Hey mellon,

The Dutchman over by Hoover has about any mold you would want and the prices are about the same as they are in the Do-It mold catalog. They also sell the pots. I think they have the 5 lb pot, the 10 lb pot that ya need a pourer for and the monster 20 lb pot. Not sure on the prices but I know they are reasonable. I bought a slip sinker mold that made from 1/8th to 3 oz. there not too long ago.

Jake