Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rapala Snagger
452 Posts
I'm getting ready to purchase a 7 wt from a coworker who doesn't really fly fish. I may sell it depending on it's condition. I want to see it first. I may also want to trade it for a 3-4 wt rod.

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
3 forks own! get one! its brand new instead of used and the
8wt one is great! owns huge steelies of up to 30 inches or more for sure! the prestige reel is great also with a good disc drag. trust me i got one my cousins got um and it is great. i got a 7wt custom now from midwest custom fly rods now but the 8wt is still in my bag of tricks for sure! can get a 3 wt size also no need to trade

·
Registered
349 Posts
I own Three Forks rods in 3wt, 5 wt and 8 wt and love them all. Buddy just bought a 5 wt Cabelas in their new cheap line, can't recall the name, but paid $30 something in the bargain cave. Rod, reel, and line. Fished just as well as his Thomas & Thomas.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
not to insult but I draw the line at that one.....cmon as well as a t&t, please tell me that was a bit of a overstatement

I have to believe someone here has a used tfo or redington or somthing along those lines here. I have a 6wt or a 10ft 5 that would be a little more, but I would also have to ship them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
not to insult but I draw the line at that one.....cmon as well as a t&t, please tell me that was a bit of a overstatement

I have to believe someone here has a used tfo or redington or somthing along those lines here. I have a 6wt or a 10ft 5 that would be a little more, but I would also have to ship them.
For what they were using it for, it fared better. The T&T is a 3/4 wt short rod and the 5 wt handled the wind better. Bill is not throwing 70 foot casts and the softer action actually better suits his style. My 3 wt Three Forks rod is about 10 years old and has fished in SC, NC, TN, MI, and OH. I did replace the line a couple years ago. The 5 wt and 8 wt are only about 4 years old and just don't get used as much though I am starting to favor the 5 wt on the Mad as it is easier casting a conehead bugger or stimulator and beadhead nymph. For casting conditions under 30 feet, I prefer the softer action. Welcome to come fish them with me sometime.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
For what they were using it for, it fared better. The T&T is a 3/4 wt short rod and the 5 wt handled the wind better. Bill is not throwing 70 foot casts and the softer action actually better suits his style. My 3 wt Three Forks rod is about 10 years old and has fished in SC, NC, TN, MI, and OH. I did replace the line a couple years ago. The 5 wt and 8 wt are only about 4 years old and just don't get used as much though I am starting to favor the 5 wt on the Mad as it is easier casting a conehead bugger or stimulator and beadhead nymph. For casting conditions under 30 feet, I prefer the softer action. Welcome to come fish them with me sometime.
Sounds like comparing apples to oranges...3wt short rod to 5wt longer rod? I have a 7'9" 3wt and a 9' 5wt, both same model rod, and they fish differently. One is not better than the other, but each is suited for different things. I can't use the 3wt rod casting bass bugs and I can't use the 9' rod on small brushy tight streams. If I tried to take a top of the line 12wt saltwater rod to a small creek, it wouldn't work...but that doesn't mean I have better rods, I just have a rod better suited for the situation.

I had an old Cabela's Letort 5wt rod for a few years. It was a decent rod, I caught a lot of fish on it. I since upgraded to a St Croix Avid in the same length and weight...and the difference is night and day. There is a difference between the lower end rods and somewhat more expensive rods, in my experience.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The combo he bought for his son is the Cahill, $49. He got the 8'6" 5 wt as a 4 piece do it all travel rod for his son.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20457&hasJS=true

They have 6 and 8 wts but no 7 wt. Read the reviews and if a slower action suits you, it is well within your budget though so are the Three Forks rods. If you need something faster, these are not for you. Welcome to come try my 8 wt Three Forks.

Perhaps you would notice a difference in weight after 6 hours of long casting heavy flies but until then, it is minimal. There is no lifetime warranty with these rods which is a benefit of the higher end ones so a good tube is worth the investment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts