close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Want to catch big Cyprinus carpio

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by leckig, May 27, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I used to fish for carp back home in Poland, where we have lots of rescect to what we called king of all fish (or king's fish). Well, because of this they are much more difficult to catch there, not many left :)
    Anyway, I went to Alum here and I saw many of them jumping. I figure there is plenty, so I got fishing license (so easy to get and cheap in the USA!!!) and I want to get back carping like back home! I noticed you guys use corn like we did, but I wonder WHERE should I start? Is Alum a good place or maybe I should try my luck somewhere else?

Thanks and see you sometimes,
    gl

2. catking

catking Banned

Alum is an EXCELLENT place to start... crappielooker, cwcarper , gill girl, Tpet, Miso Ohio -are just a few who visit Alum alot for carpin ... CAG ( Carp Anglers Group ) is holding their annual end of the season outing there October 7-9 ... Stop in and introduce yourself if you haven't already met up with these carpers..... It's a great time with great food and sportsmanship ... Welcome to this fishing site also !!!! THE CATKING !!!

3. Alum Creek Lake is one of the better lakes around for carp, particularly if you are after larger fish. We fish near the marina quite often, but many places in the lake can be productive. If you are just looking for lots of fish and size isn't that important, Buckeye Lake is also good. Also, just about any decent stretch of the Scioto River will hold lots of carp, with sizes depending on what part of the river you are fishing.

4. Marina - do you mean this one on south west corner, bit more north above the beach?
    gl

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

we just came back from pullin an all nighter.. my arms are killin me. get a hold of me sometimes leckig..

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

we will be back there again tonight(sat. nite).. rain or sleet.. :)

7. Yes, that's the marina. We fish right off the breakwall that protects the docks. Both the main lake and the bay of the marina are good, though it can be hit or miss at times. You can also access this bay by taking the road off of Lewis Center...never fished it from that side but I've been told it is good fishing. Other places I've had luck are near the New Galena ramp across the lake. Just about anywhere you can find a flat or point with deeper water nearby is generally a good place to start.

8. Looks like you guys are fishing at night quite often.

9. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

Speaking of Alum,those carp better enjoy
    themselves now,'cause after the spawn its going
    to be ALL buisness. El Payara is comming to town
    and gunning for 20's. ;)

10. Leckig...many of us fish at night (particularly at Alum) for two reasons. One is that the lake can be VERY busy...but isn't usually bad during the week. The other is that the fish at Alum typically seem to bite better during the night hours. Hasn't been the case for me, though, as all my fish have come from the day time.