close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

want to buy a vhf radio

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fireline, Jul 12, 2007.

1. I would like to buy a hand held vhf radio, do they work very good? and any recommendations on make and model. I will be using it on erie, thanks in advance

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I suppose it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't go out on Erie with anything less than a full 25 watt radio.

3. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

You can buy a marine radio cheaper than some handheld models. In the long run you will want one anyway so why not by your last radio first. A handheld does not have the range as a marine radio. I work with a guy that bought a handheld and was not happy with the performance of it. So he purchased a marine radio for his boat and is now out the money for the handheld. With less than five watts of power you will not transmit as far with a handheld. And in case of an emergency, you will want a radio that will reach everyone on the lake. My 2 cents worth to ya. What ever you choose, be safe!

4. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

The sailboaters really love the handhelds. They can talk to each other when they're out in their regattas while tending there boat. But they are all usually close together.

Back in the Spring, a boat sunk off of Turtle Creek. I heard the May Day 10 miles away because the guy had a 25watt radio. Fortunet for him, there were several other boats in the vicinity and plucked them out of the water in less than 5 minutes.

If he had a handheld, I would have never heard it. If no one else were right there, he could have been lost. Just a thought. I'll shut up now! :D

5. thanks to all for the in put, I will order a full size marine radio today

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

get an 8 ft. antenna for it nothing shorter,about $30.00.

7. gotta watch the price on a antenna. gander mount,79.bucks kames 36bucks. why?? I don;t know.same mod