Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Wamplers Lake in Michigan this past Friday. Fishing was a little tougher than expected. Had to work through a series of lures and presentations before finding one that would put some bass in the boat. Managed some largemouth and smallmouth. Water surface temperature was running 59 degrees. I put together a video of the day fishing if your interested in watching it. Click the lower right of the video to make it full screen.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fis...amplers-lake-bass-fishing-5-22-20-t13667.html

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thanks!!! I'm not a finesse guy either, but I do enjoy throwing the Ned Rig.
I would think the Ned Rig would terrorize bait manufactures. If they will hit a Ned Rig they will hit anything.
I use them effectively at Pickwick Lake in Tennessee effectively in the spring on pea gravel..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!! I'm not a finesse guy either, but I do enjoy throwing the Ned Rig.
I would think the Ned Rig would terrorize bait manufactures. If they will hit a Ned Rig they will hit anything.
I use them effectively at Pickwick Lake in Tennessee effectively in the spring on pea gravel..
I had my upper Michigan trips cancelled this spring. Talked with my wife about going to the Pickwick area in September. The fishing decent that time of year?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think fishing is always pretty good at Pickwick. I've been gong there since the mid-ninties and always catch fish. Of course, some years are better than others. Its an 7 hour run for me from NoKy but I keep going back, since its my best opportunity to catch fish consistently outside of Canada. Largemouth, smallmouth, drum, catfish - you never know what you will catch. 6lb2oz (2) Lgmouth are my tops, and a 23 inch smallie is my LTB down there. Of course they grown much larger. I tend to fish for quantity over quality and take what I get.
Spring is fun because everything is in play. While not necessarily a finesse guy, I do enjoy throwing plastics - lizards, bush hogs, grubs, etc.. Fall can get dicey because milfoil grows out about 20 feet from shore (pictured) in many of the places that you fish in the spring. I do well on the shelves/cliffs in the fall, and some Carolina rigging. It can get hot down there so I would suggest late September rather than early would be best. Lots of pleasure boaters and water lice.

I was down there for nine days this spring and did OK - not great. Water was up and murky with lots of wind. I am heading back down June 7-14th. There is a thread on here from my spring trip. We have been fishing spring on the North Channel of Lake Huron our of the Spanish River in Canda since 1991, but had that blown away this spring, ergo the second Pickwick trip.

Pictured below is the "milfoil" of which I speak, and a typical shale "cliff"/point that I do well on in the fall.

Pickwick-18-FALL-ShorelineWeekGrowth-2-BGP.jpg
Pickwick-18-FALL-WhetstonePoint-BGP.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That's some great information. I have a week off in mid September and will probably decide then. Didn't know about the water lice. That's a new one for me. Looks like a fun place to fish.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thanks. That's some great information. I have a week off in mid September and will probably decide then. Didn't know about the water lice.
Water Lice = Jet Skiers
I also include cigarette boats, boats pulling skiers and tubers, as well as pleasure pontoon boats. Pickwick is the pontoon boat capital of the world - Party Boats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts