close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walnut Creek

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Sep 21, 2004.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Floated Walnut creek this past weekend with another couple in our kayaks, not Big Walnut, this creek runs into Scioto way south of the city, and runs right past Rickenbacker. Water was slightly up, maybe a few inches, we floated 6.25 miles by my GPS and I only needed to get out once, many fallen trees and logjams. Didn't bring the fishing gear since this was a scouting trip but I was dissappointed in what I saw. Mostly flat sections, 1 -3 foot deep, channelized even though it runs thru farmland, much trash like golfcarts, many junk cars, tv's fridges. Bottom was mostly sandy with almost no traces of mussles, some sections of rocks, but not many fish seen or spooked like you would expect. Did see one pod of carp, some small minnows. Anyone ever fish this place? I'm looking to plan another kayak trip next week at a different creek/river, thinking of Darby putting in at alkire, getting out at bridge rt 665, about 5 miles or so I think. If water at regular levels, would we need to portage much? Fishing should be a major upgrade. Any other suggestions?
    Been awhile since I've posted, busy and been pretty sick this last year.
    Later,
    Mike

2. Your best bet would be putting in at the park and either float to Trapper Johns, or to there 4 mile pick up. Less walking on the upper stretch, plus they try to clear the path most of the time. Smallie fishing should be awesome by the weekend!

Good Luck!

By chance do you need a universal roof rack to carry your kayaks? Got one for sale in the classifieds on this site!

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Dont fish that stream, its a real fishermans honeyhole ;)

4. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

5. StuckAtHome

Real fishermen Honeyhole????

Not talking about the big walnut, and is that some kind of slam?

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I'll give you a hint. Go try Little Walnut with a jig or a crayfish, you will be surprised with...the size.

7. jamesdalej

jamesdalej Dale Jr. fan

Hey StuckAtHome, I been fishing the 'Big Walnut Creek' hard since '98. I mostly wade but occasionally just run the banks. I know what you mean about trash and stuff. Here at Big Walnut there's PLENTY of washers, dryers, fridges, carts, and yes even old broken down vehicles in or on the bank of the river. I usually gauge the water off these pieces of trash. Weather it's up or down. Even though the Creek might look a little trashy it does produce nice fish. I've caught smallies, largemouth, rock bass, white bass, crappie, bluegill, gar, and even saugeye out of there. Sometimes I get a nice bass but mostly the sizes range from 5-18 inches. 18 in. being my biggest ever for smallie. I'd easily say that Big Walnut is my favorite river to fish anywhere. I know there's lots of other good creeks/rivers but I know the structure here so much better I'm almost guaranteed some fish every time I go. I went yesterday wading and caught 11 in 3 hours. But since I was wading I wasted a lot of time walking to my spots. Biggest was only a 8 1/4 in smallie. Small but always feels good on ultra light. I plan on going tomorrow depending on the weather I'll let ya'll know how it's doing. Of course the water is a little down and colder but fish are still biting. I do best with roostertails and floating rapaplas. Hope this helps sorry I don't know much about Walnut Creek or Little Walnut I only know this area well. Good luck fishing!

8. StuckAtHome

Hey James, I know the Big Walnut pretty good myself, grew up fishing that creek, fished it over 25 years so far. There is some good fishing still, but since the water treatment plant at morse road takes out alot if not the majority of the flow to supply Columbus with drinking water, the fishing has really fallen in that 25 years. I am really surprised at the flow in the summertime any more, barely a trickle, sad thing is Olentangy seems to be in the same boat. I remember catching muskies below morse road bridge, only there I caught them, time and time again over the years, and nowhere else. Want to see what the flow used to be like fish above the lowhead dam at morse, a different river all together, twice the flow during peak water usage, more oxygen baitfish, gamefish ect., but hard to fish because of private property. Going to fish Big Darby this week in the kayak, know next to nothing on this river, hope its all they say it is...
    Mike

Golf is taking over fishing, whats wrong with me,lol

9. jamesdalej

jamesdalej Dale Jr. fan

Sorry guys, I been sick a few days. I was gonna say how the water was but could go nowhere. I did get to go fishing wednesday. I didn't catch anything but I did get a few nice bites. The water was down quite a bit and the clearity was excellent. I keep a fish log of all my fish records and it helps me a LOT through each year. Last year at this time I was catching nice smallmouth and largemouth bass with my tiny torpedos. I'm planning on trying again after the rain hits. Hopefully do good. Good luck to you StuckAtHome at Big Darby! I've heard some good things about the Darb. Like you said about Big Walnut the fishing has gone a little sour at the Darb the past 25 or so years from what I heard. Then again you can't take my advice because I have never been there but, I plan on going soon before it gets any colder. If you don't mind can you let me know how the water is and how the fish are biting? I'd appreciate any info. I can have so I can go prepared. Thanks for any info and good luck to everyone going fishing.

10. Ive had some luck in little Walnut myself...

11. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Try little walnut around where it goes under 33.....Walk upstream and use crayfish if you have the money.....you will be surprised.

12. I'm with jamesjdale; I love the Big Walnut. I too have caught many species: smallies & LM, gills, drum, saugeye, carp, and most of all catfish - both Flats and channels.

There are some very deep stretches on the Southeast side of the city where
    the railroad company had to dredge some areas to rebuild. There are spots on Big Walnut within 10 minutes of Fisherman's Warehouse that remain >15 ft. in depth.

While I was @ OSU I started fishing Big Walnut (I worked at a shipping Company @ Alum Creek Drive exit off 270) with little success. An elderly
    gentleman told me about this spot the railroad had done the dredging years ago. He told me there were many cats in this stretch and boy was he ever right! My largest Flathead to date was caught in this stretch - 26.8lbs! I've caught numerous 8lb + channels and many Flats up to 20lbs.

I still make a 1.5 hour drive to bank fish this spot a few times a year - even though I own a boat and have many lakes and rivers with an hour's drive.

13. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Well do you care to share the location of this deep hole? :)

14. I haven't seen but a couple people ever fish this area. Many folks fish within a 1/2 mile downstream, but are too lazy to hike upstream and look for better water.

I honestly would never post the location of such a spot - as it would soon be full of fishermen and not fish.

I usually fish this area with a good freind, and even he does not fish the spot without me, or asking if I care first (even though he knows I do not). It is a true honey hole.

Do some floating in that stretch of river and you will find some good spots.

15. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Guess i will look for wherever the railroad tracks are :) ...PM me if u want to give a few hints. I live in bexley and would be interested in trading secrets.