Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend off Turtle Creek when I went to clean the walleyes I noticed one (21") that had what looked like a ring around it's entire body just behind it's gills. It looked as if someone took a razor knife and sliced all around the fish. As I investigated I found that the fish had been caught in and escaped from a gill net. It's flesh had actually started to grow around the mono material. I had never seen this before and thought it was very interesting. I cannot even venture to guess how this fish got loose from the gill net but still had the gill net loop around it's body...??
Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I had seen a similar thing when I lived in the U.P. of Mighigan. I was fishing the Two Hearted river one fall and caught a nice Steelhead with same markings but further down its body. DNR said it more than likely escaped from a gill net.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Depends on where it was netted. If in MI waters, those guys have to release all gamefish that they catch in their nets...and I've seen 'em tossing back walleyes in the fall while we were out layout hunting. They fish for "rough fish" and then ship them to Asia.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The odd thing is that this fish was still "stuck" in the loop of the net. The loop it was stuck in was cutting into the fish as the fish was growing. It's like the net all around it had broken or been cut away.

·
Registered
371 Posts
yea gill nets are a crock. years back we fished off of avon point about 12 miles and noticed several traulers heading to that area from the far north. that same week one of the charter captains got hooked up in an unmarked gill net 7 miles into american waters. that is the most corrupt group of "fishermen" in the great lakes if you ask me.

pretty unbelievable that the fish broke free from the net. unfortunately the only one that knew the real story now resides in your freezer :D

·
Flatulent Entreprenuer
2,601 Posts
I got no sympathy for you Bluemax, that fish survived all that and you ate him! Shame on you!:p :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts