Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how often any of you perch guys ever catch a walleye or two when perchin'.......

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
Caught a 17" walleye today perching. Caught a 12" walleye couple weeks ago also.

Larry
SPOONFEEDER on 79
Sent via DROID X

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
well the current state record walleye was caught by a fella while he was perching. That being said, sadly, I've never caught a walleye while perching. I've caught ever other dang species that exists in the lake , pretty much, but never a walleye. I'm still hoping though!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Last year I went out of Lorain right about this time of year. Trolled for about 4 hours without a sniff. Gave up, anchored in front of the condos for perch and the first fish in the boat was a 27" walleye. It was the only one I've ever caught perching and it was almost taunting us.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Caught a 32 inch walleye last year that was probably eating my perch. Felt the perch, was reeling it in and WHAM. Walleye is now on my wall with two 14 1/2 inch perch also caught off Fairport. Amazing mounting job by Don, the fishcleaner in Fairport.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Caught the first one of my life this year- a 12 incher. I posted a thread on Mich. Sportsman on the same subject last year and I am always surprised at how few walleye are caught while perching. Definitely a rarity!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think for the last five years when we have been perching we have caught a walleye on a perch rig...what fun. Everyone always thinks its a sheep or a big white bass and sometimes we have caught smallmouth on perch rigs. Its always a great ride bringing in a walleye on a perch rig. Never have the net ready and then there is a big panic. This year I don't think I have been out trolling for walleye that we haven't brought in at least one perch on the trolling rigs...always figuring its another white bass and here is this jumbo perch all over the trebble hooks on a harness...not as much fun, but we still throw it in the cooler and eat him up. It still amazes me what these fish will bite on!

RS

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Well Dad and I are old school. Always seine are minnows when up at his place on Kelleys. Always get a variety and when out in his little 14' boat there in front of the white cliffs he always baits one side of his spreader with whatever baby carp,bluegill or white perch or bass we have and I'd say 1 out of 2 trips he catches either a descent walleye or smallmouth.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Caught a 14" walleye last year while perching with a crappie rig in front of VOL. It's the first and only walleye I have personally caught on the lake since we mainly target perch and catch junk fish. My wife, and senior fishing partner, caught a 24" walleye, 22" smallmouth and 2 FO sheep on her crappie rig with ultralight 6# gear. (She also catches chrome on the same system when we go to the Chagrin....)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Caught my first ever walleye while perchin 1.5 miles west of west sister on sunday morning a nice 19 incher and of course didn't have the net handy it was down below.I was able to reach over and grab him before he got off and it was barley hooked.We also got 60 nice yellows 17 lbs. at cleaners.
hopefully can get back out this weekend.My wife says I should name my new boat the MISTRESS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Andy "Wave Walker and his hunting buddy Blacky called an early rabbit hunt because it was to hot and went perch fishing, state record was caught on I think 6lb test line. I hooked into something a few weeks ago off the 72 light house that I pulled half way up then it took me down a wrap around something and broke off. We did catch some big sheephead that day but this did not have the same pull. You just never know when fishing with a minnow on the bottom.

Torch

·
Registered
276 Posts
here in the western end we have been avg. 1 to 2 walleyes per trip, last sat. we got 5, sunday 2, of varying sizes, esp. close to west sister.
also caught 8 smallmouth while perching in last two weeks,

·
On the water
1,021 Posts
I had an amazing day in May 2010. Fishing the Lorain dumping grounds, pulled a limit of nice perch and lucked into 3 walleye in the 8-10 lb range. All on spreaders with shiners. It was a solo trip, so bringing up that first big walleye was madness trying to get a net. After the first eye, I had the net ready after that point. I've tried to duplicate that day so many times, not happening. I actually weighed the biggest for the derby last year. Came in 2nd place for that week I believe, something like 9lb 10oz.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I only caught walleye while perchin' once. 3 years ago, late October, i was fishing with a friend over near Monroe. It was a nasty day and getting nastier, but i really wanted to get him on some fish. We tried for about 2 hours -probably moved 10 times without a perchie to show. Then finally we got to a spot in about 12 fow and I declared it our final spot (the waves were 2-4 and gettin worse). Anyway, we drop down a couple shiners and both immediately hookup....2 nice 'eyes! We land 'em both, drop down again and Bam Bam....2 more! We land 'em drop down again and shore 'nuff bam bam-2 more but we lost one. Anyway, we landed 7 'eyes and then the nice big perch moved in, which we ended the day with 49 perch-mostly nice sized fish. What a day!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well Dad and I are old school. Always seine are minnows when up at his place on Kelleys. Always get a variety and when out in his little 14' boat there in front of the white cliffs he always baits one side of his spreader with whatever baby carp,bluegill or white perch or bass we have and I'd say 1 out of 2 trips he catches either a descent walleye or smallmouth.
Just want to comment about your different bait used for walleye. Im gonna let the cat out of the bag here but if you ever catch a hornhead sucker put it on a hook,walleye seem to love em. I use the larger ones 7-9 inches hooked thru the mouth and the back but still keeping them alive. I have to use a ballon as a bobber(this is for shore fishing in spring and fall so all the non boatersthis will help you) . If you don't.believe me just try it. The horn head is a purple/pink on its sides and when its in the water it has 2 yellow streaks running down its back.
sorry for the hi jack but didn't think it was worth a new thread.
PS the walleye will absolutely pound the crap out of this bait. No one beleived me til i showed them.

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
My last FO was caught while perchin in the fall. That was cool enough to remind me to never, ever set my rod down unattended when my line is in the water. You just never know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Labor day weekend I had my grandsons 11 year old buddys perching when one caught a 25" walleye that attacked a white perch he had caught. Not sure if its OK to post this but admin can always delete it if its out of line.

Here's a link to the video.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool Video......I've been waiting for a walleye to slam one of those 4 or 5 inch perch while I bring it in. I want to get a couple 22" + 'eyes on a perch rig. It would be awesome to get a double like that. You guys also chimed in with some smallies. That was going to be my follow up question!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts