close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

walleye

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by monsterKAT11, Nov 8, 2004.

1. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

with the cat season starting to fade, my dad and i have decided that we'll start to lay off the cattin a bit, and try to pick up some walleye fishing. we will be doing most, if not all of our fishing at cj brown. i think we're got pretty good gear for the job. the problem is, we've never really been walleye fishing. any suggestions on bait, line, what to look for as far as structure and depth go would be greatly appreciated. thanks, korey

2. Your question covers a lot of ground so I will try to answer some equipment basics. As far as what works best at CJ, I'll leave up to others that fish it regularly. Keep in mind that walleye and saugeye are to different fish that often require different techniques. Walleye will suspend while saugeye are found on or within inches of the bottom 99% of the time.
    A 6ft 6in spinning rod, medium action works well. Couple it up with a reel that has instant anti reverse and loaded with 10# Fireline is a good basic rig.
    I use both spinning and baitcasting outfits at different times.
    Some blade baits and jigging spoons as well as crankbaits and worm harness/bottom bouncer combo's. Colors have been covered in other related posts which you can search out.
    Sometime you cannot keep walleye or saugeye away from your bait while other times you will think that they all have died. They will use shallow water as well as deep depending on conditions and time of year.
    If you want a real education on these fish, make it a point to set up a meeting with Jim Corey at Cripple Creek Bait. He can give you a lot of good information that will shorten your learning curve no matter where you fish.
    Hope this helps and you get additional comments from others. Good luck. :)

3. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

thanks drift,
    anyone else have any suggestions?

4. Are you fishing from a boat or from shore?

5. At CJ look for the pontoons in the evening (if they're still there this late), they are usually just SE of the "no wake zone". I've caught several walleye in that area drifting and bouncing the crawlers off the dirt. I've seen others catch walleye trolling with crank baits or rapala-type lures near the humps in front of the marina and landing too. Good luck, bring plenty of crawler harnesses, they tend to catch logs, boots, bags, shirts, and lots of small cat fish in CJB.

6. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

thanks guys-i'm fishing from a boat

7. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

I dont know about CJB but when ever im walleye fishing in canada we either tip 1/4 oz jigs with minnows and verticle jig or we troll reef runners so they are hitting bottom, we've pull the most numbers jigging and the biggest fish from trolling. colors for jigs are usually white, chartrues, pink, or plain lead. Hope this helps.

8. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

thanks for all the info guys my dad and i are heading out today after i get home from school..i let you know how it goes