Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there enough benefit to using lead core line to keep a rod designated to having lead core on it? I typically just use divers or snap weights to get deeper but I was wondering if I might catch more fish if I ran weighted line

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
don't know anyone who uses it. but with inline weights, wire line, and divers to get us down who needs lc to get there lures down. on my boat I run 6 lite bite slide divers and 2 down riggers. don't know where i'd run lc. but if you like it and run inline boards it might work for you.
sherman

·
Registered
421 Posts
Lead core is pretty much useless at 2 to 2.5 mph in the summer months. If your pulling harnesses and cranks at slower speeds in the spring it may help but with the sheer number of fish in the lake right now it ain't worth reeling in 8 or 9 colors of line and resetting the whole deal over again. Just my opinion.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
Stupid question but what kind of inline weights are you guys running. I’ve always been a leadcore guy especially on inland lakes. Also what size weights
I like the ones from rednekoutfitters.com. they have different sizes with a depth chart. 3 oz works great on the central basin with boards. there is probably other good weights out there. try doing a search on line for inline weights. but for no more than they cost at rednek why not just buy a few and try them. you will need what you plan to use and a couple of spares incase you lose one
sherman

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks. I want to try inline and crankbaits (Flickershads, shad raps and hot n tots) on inland lakes next year. I usually troll 18-22 ft. How long of a leader do you guys use from the weight to the lure. Thanks again

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
Thanks. I want to try inline and crankbaits (Flickershads, shad raps and hot n tots) on inland lakes next year. I usually troll 18-22 ft. How long of a leader do you guys use from the weight to the lure. Thanks again
with inline weights a 6' leader is all you need. good luck on the inland water.
sherman

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lead core is pretty much useless at 2 to 2.5 mph in the summer months. If your pulling harnesses and cranks at slower speeds in the spring it may help but with the sheer number of fish in the lake right now it ain't worth reeling in 8 or 9 colors of line and resetting the whole deal over again. Just my opinion.
Somebody must have forgot to tell the fish about this...we put 4 man limits in the boat rather quickly pulling 5 color spreads all summer...yes at 2 - 2.5 speeds.

We found that when hosting newbies and handicapped riders, it is much easier for them to just crank in the fish and not have to stop to remove snap weights or to try to teach them how to "pop" a dipsey or jet...

·
Registered
201 Posts
For Central basin fishing I always string up at least two rods with 5 colors of LC. For bigger fish we troll plugs year round when a lot of guys are switching to spoons and harnesses for better numbers of June and July fish.

The LC almost always outperforms inline weights alone. We're really not sure why, but our working theory is better presentation with vertical movement in the water column. When it gets into August and the fish are way down deep we clip the inline weights 30 feet from the lure to hit the depths without having to run out 100 yards of line.

·
Registered
722 Posts
When I fish out east in late summer (ie 70fow with fish 50 down) I like to run a mixed spread with four slide divers plus as many board rods as allowed up to rod limit. I’ll try 5 colors plus a deep diver like bandit or reef runner 800. If the five color setups don’t work I’ll switch to 10 colors plus a shallow crank like reef runner 700. I had a trip in August where 12 of 18 fish came on the 10 color rods. I like to run big boards and I’ve found that snap weight rods tend to snag the slide diver rods when I try to run them out the tow line and we don’t have that problem with leadcore because the leadcore is a less steep dive curve than the slide divers. It IS a lot of reeling but eliminates the tangles. We seem to catch a larger grade of fish on the reef 700 10 color rods so for me I think it’s worth it. Anything I can do to eliminate tangles is worth it in my opinion. I’d love to hear about deep presentations I could run on the big boards in conjunction with a running dipsy/slide diver spread that won’t tangle when I run the lines out the tow line. Leadcore is the only thing I’ve found that will pass right over the outside dipsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts