Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hetfieldinn and I decided on the spur of the moment to hit Erie around the Cleveland area this afternoon. Hooked up my boat and headed for Edgewater.
As we got the boat ready at the launch, I discovered that The Captain
:rolleyes: had left the Sonar and GPS at home.:eek:
Well, we trolled by landmarks and direction which finally paid off with a walleye followed by another maybe ten minutes later. Worked that line to death and ended up with 10 walleye and then started to troll back toward the launch. Took our last two fish on our way in.
Jet 20's/flatline 140 back with watermellon and 125 behind boards. Fished about two miles WNW of the Crib. Had a BLAST doing it the way we did back in the late 70's/early 80's.:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I heard you on the radio describe your predicament- glad you guys wound up no worse for the ware. i was out of wildwood.

pik-n-fin

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
Good job-kinda like fishing handcuffed huh? As I remember from many years ago, you did pretty well for yourself without the technology! I did nearly the exact same thing Saturday before last. Left handhelds in the truck at the Wildwood launch. Noticed it about halfway over to the Eastlake plant stacks and decided too late to go back for them. Used the fish locator and listened to the stereo-sure is quiet out there without the VHF radio! Brother was visiting from Va. so he didn't notice much different. He drove the boat and I scraped up five good eaters on my dancecard.

·
612 Posts
Great to hear Shortdrift. I was running my buddies Proline Sunday and couldn't find his fishfinder, so I fished blind. Once you got the program memorized, success is only a matter of time anywhwre within 7 miles of shore this time of year.
Freyednot-I used to slow troll erie deries back in the day. Try doing it off inline planer boards....boy that's good fun.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I know its always better to be a lone wolf and not a pack animal. But, I always figured if you didnt have a fish finder you could always just look for a pack and fish the edges of it.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
The bugs (mulletheads?) were phenomenal. The windshield and bimini were covered with them. Couldn't even munch on a sandwich.

The Erie Dearie Silver Leaf spoon in watermelon was on fire.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,461 Posts
Docktime, you were in the proline with the saltwater opti, hardtop trolling white rods?

I was right next to you like really close as I trolled almost into the crib, ohh man I wish it was you I would have called you.

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Kev, Frank and I fished old school at the Turtle Creek outing North of Kelleys. It's always fun trying to guess where Gull and Kelley Shoals are located but Frank is a master navigator !:D Certainly a lot less thinking and switching up of programs when you have no sonar !:p

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
The good old days of going out blindly and catching fish. It's amazing how technology gadget dependent we have become. I can remember growing up and fishing with my Dad, the only electronics that we had on board was a battery operated AM-FM radio. Now we check the weather on the computer, look at web cams to see the lake conditions before we leave, Find our waypoints on the GPS, find schools of fish on the Fishfinder, Talk on the ship to shore radio with our Buddy's, while listen to our AM-FM CD player with a MP3 hook up. And I am sure some of us have more than that on our boats LOL.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Well Ron and Het.. thats just good experience there taking over...

Great job out there.. and im glad you guys did well and was safe too!!

who needs sonar and Gps anyways....LOL

Krusty, I will never for get that trip and Ya know what, i look back @ that trip and i think iwas one of my most favorite trips because of the sistuation and we could of easily went out and jigged.. but we choose to just do it.and all three of pulled thru and made it happen..... we put some great fish in the baot and we had a blast doing it,,,,now thats fishing!!!!

we gonna have to hook here soon Matt!!!

Frank

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Krusty, I will never for get that trip and Ya know what, i look back @ that trip and i think iwas one of my most favorite trips because of the sistuation and we could of easily went out and jigged.. but we choose to just do it.and all three of pulled thru and made it happen..... we put some great fish in the baot and we had a blast doing it,,,,now thats fishing!!!!

we gonna have to hook here soon Matt!!!

Frank
I agree, that trip ranks up there at the top with me also ! Had a blast ! If these warm temps. keep it up all the eyes may run east like they did in 05', let's hope not but I may have to come your way sooner than later. We definitely need to schedule a drifting trip, I will let you know when that heats up. Did you guys get out last night ? I could hear guys talking on channel 68 that were fishing the crib. Sounded like they were doing well north of the crib. I called out to ya but didn't get an answer.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,461 Posts
Yeah that was one fun trip....and you caught the biggest fish of the trip too!!!! Neither of us fished yesterday, I did talk to Het when he was out there, he said he heard someone on the radio fishing Green. WTF ohh man is that far, I was out on sunday and heard guys about 25 miles away to the East pretty clear.

We will be out Pre-Fishing on Friday for the LEWT event Saturday, we'll let you know how we do.

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Good luck to you and Frank this weekend. I am trying to work a days vacation for Friday and to be on the water, the weather is suppose to be super sweet so I will give you a hollah if I get out. I'll probably swing by and watch the weigh in on Saturday. Is the weigh in at the Sandusky City Ramp off Shelby Street ?

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,461 Posts
Thanks Matt!!! Yes I believe so, that's where the launch is at and the website doesn't say anything otherwise.

Yeah come on bye and shoot the bull with us, should see some good weights and :B hopefully coming out of my livewell :p

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Thanks Matt!!!!!

Hope you can work that time off to your advantage!!!

either way hope we see ya Buddy!!!

Frank

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was waiting for Shorty to start one of those....

" we trolled for 12 hours straight using only paddles... in 6 foot waves... uphill....bothways ! ! ! ! ! :p :p :p

Good luck Team Kielbasa ! ! ! !:B
What time is the weigh-in scheduled for?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Was thinking about stopping in for the weigh-in, but we have to be back in the old neighborhood (Garfield Hts) for a B-day party. Maybe next time.....

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
that GF and Slavic village is the ole neiborhood for sure..

mabey well run into each other another time sonner than later...

where do you buy your polish food from Stoshu???

Frank

1 - 20 of 27 Posts