Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a little help i haven't been on the big lake in about 12 years what casting techniques are people using to catch walleye these days. are forward weight spinners still popular any help would be apprecaited.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Many people cast the Mayfly Rig which is a gold blade, gold bead body, single hook spinner worm harness which has a weight about 12/15" up the leader. I make my own and sometimes use tandem spinner blades. I also DO NOT strickly stick with gold. I also use copper and silver as different colors work in different conditions. When I drift I prefer to use a bottom bouncer with an 18 to 48 inch leader depending on the speed of the drift. Slow drift means shorter leaders. For casting I add split shots 12 to 15 inches up the leader. About a one third to one half a crawler max on the hook, no need for the wiggly trailer.
Yes, Erie Dearies still work and I use them a fair amount both for drifting and casting.
The hot, predominant color is gold but the walleye see a lot of that so I ofter use a different color and catch fish while other colors do not. Remember too that the water is very clear now and the eyes will generally be tight to the bottom during the day, not suspending like in the good old days. :D Hope this answer helps.

Mayfly Rig tying:

I'll try to explain the simple snell I use.
1) 24" of 25# Trilene XT
2) Pass line thru hook eye so one end is about an inch behind the Bend
3) Take the end at the Eye and wind it back over the shank and the short end of the line. Take six turns then pass it long end back through the Eye. While doing this, make sure you pinch down the coils around the shank.
4) Pull the long end so the coils tighten around the shank. Be sure to pull it tight.
5)Trim the short end so about 1/4" is left behind the bend.
6) You can add a second hook in front of the first by simply passing the long end through the second hook eye (from the rear) and repeating the coiling process.
7) Add your large beads and use a small bead to have the Spinner Blade Clevis ride against.
8)Tie a standard low cost swivel (ball bearing not needed) to the long end using a 6 turn clinch knot.

It takes more time to lay out the components than it does to tie the rig. Easy to make right on the boat.

You can add weight to the main line as required.

I have used a rig like this for several trips without having any twisting problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Where do you buy your supplies? I've not seen hooks like that in my area,central OHIO. Thank's,Osprey

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
You can get that style hook fron Gander Mountain, Bass Pro and Cabelas. Eagle Claw or Gamagatsu. Any hook with a turned eye will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts