Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6 LB 4 OZ smallmouth
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I grab walleye from my live well that have tape worms hanging out of them & place them in a cooler on ice . is my live well populated with tape worm eggs ? is their a good chance I have eggs on my hands? If i eat fries & a whopper on the way home am I running the risk of ingesting tape worm eggs? Or is this just a script for a horror movie with no truth to it ?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pretty much what bobk said. You should always sanitize your hands before eating or touching stuff. You’ll have to bleach everything. Got to drink some to wash that whopper down too.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
My wife got Giardia from our new German Shorthair Pointer puppy this spring from it licking her face. She ended up in the ER and it wasn't until the tests came back from the vet until we put everything together. So anything is possible!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
each segment of a tape worm can hold eggs. To be infected you would have to ingest eggs or larva (found in the meat). So yes you should wash your hands before eating. The best way to clean gear such as coolers is with hot water greater than 140 and bleach. With that said it is still unlikely to get tapeworms from external exposure, but eating under cooked or raw fish is a big no no.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I actually researched this because all of the eyes we have been getting at Erie have tape worms this year. You would have to freeze the meat to -4 to kill the larvae the only way your doing this is with dry ice. As long as meat is thoroughly cooked it cannot be contracted by us

1 - 11 of 11 Posts