close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walleye/Saugeye Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Action, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Is there any lakes in the area that have a good population of walleye and saugeye coexisting.

2. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Yep, both Salt Fork and Seneca still have decent populations of Walleye, along with Saugeye.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

are both stocked or are the walleye a free functioning reproducing popululation?

4. Corey

Both Seneca, with the hatchery right there, and Salt Fork, are stocked populations. The Walleyes go through the spawning motions, with minimal success. The Quote from the ODNR is that the population "is not self-sustaining". Both lakes were used as "Mother" lakes for the hatcheries programs. They harvested and stripped female Walleyes from those lakes and used the eggs for breeding purposes. A few years ago they began to get Saugeyes in their nets at both lakes so they had to discontinue their use as Mother lakes, once they realized that the Walleye gene pool would no longer be pure. The decision to stock Saugeyes was economic. It is much more cost effective to raise and stock Saugeyes than Walleyes. Having what is referred to as "hybrid Vigor", the resultant eggs from breeding female Walleyes with male Saugers have a very high percentage of viability, resulting in more "swim-up-fry". Basically more bang for the buck. For anyone who is interested in more info on Saugeye reproduction here is a link to an article that should clear up any confusion.

http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc2/corey20021.html

5. I understand that CJ Brown reservoir is used as a "Mother" lake since I believe it is a "walleye only" lake. Happened to be there one time when ODNR was pulling eyes from their nets. Some nice impressive fish.

6. Corey

I don't know much about the stocking programs in the Western part of the State. One of the guys from the WOWC should be able to comment on CJ. I don't know which hatchery does the breeding for the fish that are stocked in CJ.

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

In the NE we have a few lakes with natural populations of walleye....Berlin is the most prolific, having been responsible for bringing back walleye stocks in most ohio lakes and lake erie. I know West Branch has natural reproductions also, this is actually being confirmed this year.

8. Saugeye have also showed up in the ODNR nets as well as a few being caught. Still mostly a walleye lake. Infact, the ODNR transport every saugeye they catch in the nets because the ODNR is determined to make CJ a great walleye fishery and keep it that way.

9. catking

catking Banned

Besides CJ Brown, Rocky Fork has both. You can at times really get a trophy walleye from there. They reproduce on their own. They stopped stocking them years ago............ THE CATKING !!!

10. Corey

I'd say that CJ will eventually be a Saugeye lake then. It's a shame. If there are Saugeye in there now it's just a matter of time before the gene pool is corrupted. The cause is twofold: 1) misidentification of fish thought to be female Walleye being stripped of eggs for the hatchery programs. The consensus in the industry is that, in waters where both species exist, even trained hatchery personel have about a 10% error rate in identification by sight alone. Although the vast majority of Saugeyes exibit the characteristics common to their species, they carry the color genes from both parents and CAN look identical to either. The only truly foolproof method of identification is mitochondrial DNA testing of each fish, and this is cost prohibitive. 2) The fact that both Saugeye and Walleye are "broadcast spawners". Eggs laid by a female can be fertilized by many males. As the population of Saugeyes increases in any given waters, the odds of not having a male with Sauger genes join in the fun gets higher and higher, till winning the lotto is a better bet, lol.