close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walleye Recipes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Let's hear some of your favorite ways to prepare and cook fresh crappie or walleye? I have some nice thick filets that are calling my name and looking for new ideas!

Does anybody grill walleye filets? These are about 1" thick. Does it have to be wrapped up, etc?

At my house we most commonly beer batter the fish in the cooker.

2. My favorite other than fried is to melt some butter in a skillet and put the fillet in and sprinkle lemon pepper on it cook a few minutes and flip over and do the same, simple and GOOD. That is how we do it in the BWCA over the campfire, cant beat it. My dad makes a dish with walleye that is very good, put the fillets in the bottom of a pan and cover with some wild rice and stuffing and some morel mushrooms if you have it then cover that with another fillets and then cover the whole thing with a white sauce and bake until the fish is done. As far as crappie, I dont think there is any better way than to just fry em up!

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I usually beer batter or bread them...

However, last year I cut some eye filets into strips, wrapped them in bacon, stuck a toothpick down the center, and dipped em in bbq sauce. Threw em on the grill for a bit, and WOWOWOW are they tasty.

4. Take those 1" thich pieces and slice them down into three pieces. They will be a lot better tasting as old large walleye hold a lot of oil and can be strong. I simply dip in a egg/milk mix and then coat with instant potatoes and fry in Crisco until golden brown. Golden brown color, very moist but mild flavor. Fry at high temp or around one minute (max) per side. Very hard to over cook them with this coating if they are around 1/4 to 3/8 inch thich.

5. I do slice them when I'm frying them. Otherwise it takes forever to get them cooked! Sounds like some good recipes so far.

Here's mine:

I use milk/2 eggs. with Natures Seasoning brand name spice.
    Crushed up cheddar fish crackers and reg crackers OR just use bread crumbs in bag.

Dip in the eggs/milk and put in bag.. shake then put it in the Fryer until it floats....

My son Austin loves the fish this way! I'm just looking for some healthier recipes on the skillet, grill, and/or oven.

Thanks guys!

6. dip em a little seasoned flour, then sautee for a minute in a bit of butter and olive oil and turn over, add some chicken stock cover and turn heat to med-low. cook for 12-15 minutes. take out fish and reduce chicken stock for a good sauce. i usually add parsley, caper and garlic for extra flavor!!!!!

7. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

I normally bread and deep fry mine,but here is an excellent oven recipe.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Take your Walleye fillets and lay them in the bottom of a greased Pyrex baking dish.
    Salt and pepper the fillets.
    Combine 3/4 cup miracle whip and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice.
    Spread this mixture over the fillets.
    Top with crushed potato chips,and bake until fish flakes easily..about 1/2 hour.
    umm good!

8. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I've done the Miracle Whip thing with steelhead, it really works.

9. Wow!!! am I hungry now!!!

Nothing beats the good ol' pan fried, but one of the things I've tried with walleye is to
    1. slice the fillet down to 1/2" or less take the cut of part and put it near the tail.
    2. put a layer of frozer (or fresh if you have it) spinich (thawed and squeezed dry)
    3. then put a layer of mozzerella cheese on top of that.
    4.roll it up like a jelly roll, but start with the tial end.
    5. add some toothpick to hold it together
    6. dip it into an egg wash and bread crumbs
    7. fry it all around until browned and put it in the oven at 325° for 1/2 hour.

It's best to do this in a cast iron skillet because you can just put the skillet in the oven.

10. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

if you're looking for something different,try making blackened walleye.it's really easy to make and goes good with a cold brew.
    1;put a large cast iron skillet on your gas grill,fire it up on high and let it get
    HOT!
    2;take the fillets and dunk them in some melted butter
    3;fully coat them with blackening seasoning
    4;put a couple of table spoons of butter in the skillet and let it melt
    5;lay the fillets in and let them blacken on one side then turn them over and
    blacken the other side.
    these are pretty spicey and hot but go real good with fries and sweet slaw.
    the brand of blackening seasoning i like the best is Paul Prudhommes blackened redfish magic.