close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walleye or saugeye?

Discussion in 'Walleye & Saugeye Discussions' started by twistedcatfish1971, Apr 9, 2018.

1. twistedcatfish1971

twistedcatfish1971 Fish fire food friends family

I caught this out of the mahoning just down from berlin about 2 weeks ago...got to looking at it and saugeye crossed my mind ?

...I added this walleye I got same day same place. If it is a saugeye then I've caught my 1st ever !

Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  2. Pretty fish! Looks like a saugeye ro me,with more sauger in it then walleye... could it be a sauger?

3. It is a sauegeye, due to the white lower tip on the tail. This does not exist in saugers. It only exists in walleyes and saugeyes

sherman51 and twistedcatfish1971 like this.
  4. twistedcatfish1971

After a little research I do agree with it NOT being a sauger. I am pretty sold on a saugeye though...also didn't think saugeye were up as far as Berlin?

Don.

sherman51 likes this.
  5. #1 is indeed a saugeye. Btw white on the tail does occur on saucer though not as pronounced, however that dorsal is a 100% giveaway. The second is a walleye as you said

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Saugeyefisher likes this.
  6. dcool

dcool

X2 on the saugeye

7. sherman51

sherman51 florida ice fishing

just eat it as a saugeye because the white tail says so to me.

8. The deep gold color/splotches indicates sauger to me...and yes, actually all 3 can have white on the tail...second pic is a saulleye.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Skippy and Saugeyefisher like this.
  9. x2

10. Hmm interesting I saw this post this morning. I can't seem to find any information saying that sauger can have a white spot. In fact it seems that in the majority of places I have researched, having or not having a white spot on that bottom portion of the tail (caudal fin? I believe) was the main determiner in a sauger vs. saugeye or walleye. I just don't want to be identifying my fish incorrectly!! lol

twistedcatfish1971 likes this.
  11. And obviously black spots indicate sauger- saugeye as well

twistedcatfish1971 likes this.
  12. I know for a fact that the first pic is a saugeye and I believe the second pic is a saugeye also. Just a different color phase. The pronounced black markings on the spines of the dorsal fin makes me think it is a saugeye, although not as positive as I am about the first pic.

13. twistedcatfish1971

Thanks for the input...here's a picture with both ... caught same spot same day within an hour of each other. Now in my opinion the top is a walleye...I'm 99% sold the other is saugeye and not sauger. Either way has anyone caught saugeye/sauger as close as Berlin before? I personally have never heard of either caught this way up north...

Attached Files:

riverKing likes this.
  14. 20100528133844.jpg plenty of id pics out there showing sauger with white tipped tails... ive also caught plenty with white tips on the tale.

riverKing and Skippy like this.
  15. Those fish are clearly different.

16. Imagine that...it looks identical to his fish...lol...I still say sauger.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Skippy and twistedcatfish1971 like this.
  17. Agreeing now with saugeye fisher and his thoughts. Here is a picture for comparison I found. The difference is a “spot” on the lower tail of the walleye vs. a white “line” along the bottom of the tail. Picture shows it great

Attached Files:

riverKing likes this.