close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

walleye on the portage

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mountainmang, Jan 17, 2008.

1. i'm familiar with the portage for white bass but does it also see a walleye run like the maumee?

thanks!

2. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

I've had the same Q. I dont think its very good for eyes but ppl do try for them. Just do a river comparison from the maumee to the portage its gunna have alot less walleyes! Prolly try from them this spring though.

3. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

The only place I think the eyes ever show are near the mouth of the portage. I grew up in that area and fished it religously. On occassion you will here of a stray steelhead making it into the river but I have never heard of anyone catching any walleye with any regularity in the river itself.

4. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Back in the day(late 70's/early 80's) there use to be a fair spring walleye run up the portage but nothing like the Maumee or Sandusky runs. Now I only hear of a few caught each year in the rt590 bridge area and like someone mentioned before, a few at the pier in PC.
    But there's a lot of good fishing areas between those 2 spots, if you can hit the right water conditions. Good Luck.

5. the 590 bridge area is where i fish for white bass but all that moss leaves me pulling my hair out, lol. how do you guys fish it so you're not pulling off a handful of moss after every cast?

6. The One

Felt soled wading boots work well you can also add a few short sheet metal screws for added traction.

7. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

You might want to try floating jig heads or small original floating rapalas.

8. that's what i was thinking because anything that touches bottom is a moss magnet :F

9. The One

My bad thought you were talking about slipping on the mossy rocks. Another trick is try a bobber over your jig heads.

10. back in the early 90's in the heat of summer we used to fish the upriver side of the drawbridge (behind the water treatment plant) for cats and white bass....usually at night, with tightlines and crawlers...

one weekend in the spring we decided to do that, maybe early April..(i think it was a 3 day weekend, Good Friday maybe).tightlines down, crawler three feet off the bottom......we smashed the walleye.went back three days in a row and smashed them....

the next weekend...nothing....went back a few yrs later to find the access blocked and all of the parking lots and crap you have today...

I have to believe there is a run, but it's smaller, and it's got to be a few weeks later than the maumee run, more in line with when the Port Clinton area reefs start seeing some fish