Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first walleye on the fly today, which has been a goal of mine for a while. It was about 20 inches, and it was a long fight with my 6 weight in very fast current. I got it on a white marabou streamer that I tied. Yes i did keep it and the picture is in my front yard because the camera was malfunctioning on the river. has anyone else caught a walleye on the fly rod? Also can we please not start a walleye-sauger-saugeye argument? it seems to happen a lot with the fish i post

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've never caught one around here, but have caught them in Minnesota on black and olive bunny strip leeches.....nice catch!

Mike

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I would love to catch a walleye or sauger or saugeye on the fly. The trouble for me is getting down deep enough for them!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Awesome! I've gotten a bunch of 'eyes on the fly before, but only a couple of them were of any size. Those bigger ones do put up a nice fight on the fly rod.

Oh, and that's a saugeye;););)(sorry, I couldn't resist)

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I catch some sauger on the fly about every spring when they are thick in the Hocking near Athens. Get a small streamer down deep enough and you'll get them, it just practically has to be bouncing bottom. I got a saugeye at Snowden on my 5wt a few years ago that was 26 1/4", and shocked me to death. So far no walleye on the fly for me, they just aren't that common in the SE corner where I fish.

Sidebar: not starting a walleye/sauger/saugeye argument, but it was probably me who did. :) It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut when people continuously misidentify fish!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nice fish on the fly! Anytime you catch one that big on a fly you tied yourself is a plus. Good job!:woot:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback guys. I use the biggest lead hourglass eyes that bass pro sells on the flies I tie for walleye. My problem is not getting to the bottom, but getting snagged on the bottom. I use a floating line but im thinking about a sink tip.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I use the biggest lead hourglass eyes that bass pro sells on the flies I tie for walleye. My problem is not getting to the bottom, but getting snagged on the bottom. I use a floating line but im thinking about a sink tip.
Something else to consider, if the water isn't super deep, is a sinking poly leader. I have used one some this year on a floating fly line and it worked great to get a fly to maybe 5-6' deep (weightless flies). It's a knotless leader, but the butt 3/4 of the leader is a sinking line, they come in various densities for different depths. It's a cheap alternative to a new sink tip line, spare spool, and more backing. Here's what I used:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1R5G

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I use the biggest lead hourglass eyes that bass pro sells on the flies I tie for walleye. My problem is not getting to the bottom, but getting snagged on the bottom.
Maybe go a size or two smaller on the dumbbell eyes and see if that still gets you deep enough but keeps you from hanging up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got another one, about 17 in. I think im starting to figure them out, it inhaled the hand-tied streamer fly

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sweet catchs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts