Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do some shallow water night fishing for walleye around Huron. From anyones experience do they generally hit better on a full moon or during no moon? I will definitely try either way but have a vacation day left to burn so looking to plan ahead a bit. Do dark or bright colored cranks work better? Thanks, Chuck.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've had alot better luck with white based lures on a full moon if the water clarity is good. Glass minnow hj, white bleeding shad f-18, char wonderbread ripstick...
Blue chrome and clown hj are a winners too. If its muddy, it doesn't seem as important. Lure action and size if the lure seems to be more important.
For the most part, alot of the night fishing I do is around alot of light from shore and that could contribute but when I'm 5-8 miles out at night where shore lighting isn't as noticeable the white based lures on a full moon are definitely the best...in my opinion.
I've only been doing the night bite on Erie for a few years so you might want to listen to a seasoned veteran. On mosquito and LaDue I did pretty well with hj 10's, shad raps and HotnTots at night. Shad raps kick a.. on Erie too depending on the night.
I have noticed a dramatic difference in more bites behind different board light colors. But you'd have to take me fishing for me to spill those beans. ;)
Good luck. Be careful out there.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
I think most will say the bite is MUCH better on a new or partial moon. Full moon I think makes it much tougher.

P.S. Jeff you is such a little boat ho. haha :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies. Treeman, I will send you a PM when i figure what days I will be going out. I am guessing it will be in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You're right about that Jeff. You reminded me that the best time of night that I can remember fishing on a full moon the moon was low still low on the horizon or it was cloudy. But white based/bellys were definitely the ticket.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
I definitely wouldn't stay home because of a full moon. Can't catch em on the couch...unless I can figure out how to get my couch on the boat. ;)

·
Banned
818 Posts
On a full moon you can let your cranks go deeper and get good action, on cloudier days I run them at surface:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts