Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just wondering how people did on walleye this year inland. What seemed to work best and which lakes. Also did they have any size to them.
Been docked on erie for quite a while now. But my new buddy has a larger boat to dock there next year. So I may fish Erie with them and keep my starcraft for inland when I can't get up.
Im set up to troll Erie for eyes and wonder if it pays inland. Downriggers, planer mast and boards also lead core and divers too. Spoons, harnesses and plugs. Are these still producing inland? Also not many of them do inland so may have open seats. Just trying to make my mind up to keep her home or still erie. But health is playing a big part also.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Johnny tsunami
3,102 Posts
Lakes produced pretty good and the fall bite should kick up soon if you hit inland lakes you don't need all the stuff you use on Erie. I will flat line stick baits and plugs and use inline boards and harnesses i have luck with small Colorado blades most the time drifting with a little inline weight trolling i will use 1 oz and just control depth with the lead spoons never really did good for me. Did extremely well during the summer months up to August casting weed beds with jigs had some good fish 22-24" and nothing smaller than 16"

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well not sure what BB is. But I have many harnesses,spoons and plugs. But I'm wondering if their to large in land. As we target big walleye on Erie. So what sizes you run? Large Boards are great but yes probably over kill on small lakes. Nice through the week probably when their are fewer boats.
You all use down riggers inland? Just curious.I have done much lake fishing. But not much for eyes or Sauger. Usually cast or jigged. Thinking be fun to try some Erie tactics too! Since I have the rigging for them. Never done much with pike or Ski's but my rods would be well suited i believe.
Wife and I usually fished Bass, crappie, cats and perch. But thought we try to expand a little. And bring more family out. I love Erie,, but find a lot of people are to scared to give it a chance. And if you fish Erie it is never really safe. But that's part of the Excitement to some I believe.
But will watching for ideas and tactics others share to brooden my knowledge around here. Thanks for any help.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,102 Posts
No need for riggers the lakes are shallow so there is no need at least to me i will run big boards but the small boards work good to i also bought small dippsys and jets that go to 10' but didn't run them this year because of having better luck casting helicopter jigs but soon i run the same program as we do for erie fall bite just trolling in close with hj 14s. Quite honestly each lake seems different in my opinion different strategy works for different place sometimes.

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I would like to find a spot on a nice lake in the camping area. I could park my old motor home and spend some time there fishing with the wife and others. I get half off state parks during the week. Not a bad deal. But prefer a place I can pull the boat to shore by my camper rather then launching daily.
Which lakes seem to produce a lot of decent eyes? which seem to be better for trolling. I never did seem to get a lot from jigging. But would be interested in learning. Thinking a 19'2 with only an inboard might not be a good boat for that. Seems you'd need electric.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well I would like to find a spot on a nice lake in the camping area. I could park my old motor home and spend some time there fishing with the wife and others.

Viper, that sounds like a wonderful plan and is exactly what I am working towards myself.

I have gathered that you are wanting to target walleye at the lake in which you will set up camp. I am also guessing that you will being leaning towards the N.E. Ohio area because, well, that is the forum we are in.

So with those two items in mind, it seems to me your options are limited to only a few lakes considering the HP restrictions. (others will add to this list I am sure)

Berlin
Milton
West Branch (Kirwan)
Mosquito
Pyma

The requirement to be able to beach/dock your boat at your campsite is going to be extremely difficult to fulfill at several of these, if for no reason other than the fluctuating water levels, but that is not to say it is impossible.

There are some private locations on Berlin and Milton that may offer you close to what you are looking for, and they may have an actual dock for you to rent as well. At Milton there is a site just inside the river south of Pointview that seems to offer trailer lots and dock access.

If you broaden your species of fish that you would like to target to say Saugeye, you open up the whole MWCD family of lakes like Atwood, Leesville etc.. I know Atwood and Leesville both offer exactly what you are looking for.

Good luck man...enjoy that setup!

·
Registered
921 Posts
After reading my reply, as I got to the ending part where I suggest MWCD (Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District) lakes, I completely forgot you have an inboard.

Leesville is a 10HP limit and Atwood has a 25 hp limit, so Tappan and Saltfork may be the closest legal "eye" lakes outside of the ones I first mentioned.

Sorry for the brain lapse.

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed that but didn't remark because i appreciate the help. :)

I have docked at Berlin, Mosquito, and Conneaut over the years. Mostly because me and the wife are disabled. Having a dock is so much easier on us. But the costs are getting out of our reach. Actually conny was as cheap as most I see in land. I find that funny as I think Erie is such a more remarkable lake.
But if I could find a cheap dock on a nice fishing boating lake i might still do it. We also have a older class A RV. And love to camp. Was going to sell it. But think i'll keep it. Too nice to give a way. And that's what most want.
Never fished a lot at Milton and only once at west branch. So probably will do some their. Berlin is the closest as I am located just out side of Salem Ohio.
Because of health and weather i got to Erie 5 times. Not worth the 850.00 for the dock. I had one in the lagoon for that. But the other one is 1500. or better.
So Inland I can get many more dates to fish as the weather don't cause the 6-10's like Erie. And go on 1-2 days there maybe.
I have met and fished with a few here. And so far all good. But some that have wanted to go and i didn't. Some because of health. Some because of the attitudes i get. So many seem to think their the God of fishing! Some think they cant learn from any one. Some because I'm a christian and don't appreciate drinking or swearing. Don't like smoking on board either but do permit some when they are careful and respect the boat. Have even had some cuss and get offensive for not taking them. Guess im too choosy But I don't put up with people with lack of respect for others. I have enough tackle, rods and boat to fish about any thing. And 60 tears of experience and still learning. Enough to know even the pros don't know it all.
And all I ask is good company and enjoyment. And maybe help with costs when applicable. Im an old man now. and I can do any thing i set my mind too. Don't need people to buy me. But always enjoy more friends. Oh and yes i like to argue when I believe something, I can be swayed when wrong and tell the truth at times till it hurts. Trying to do better on all counts.
So any one willing to help this old Geyser to get on fish with tips or trips are welcome. And my conditions are plain. My wife is a great lady who loves to fish. So if you aren't allowed to fish with a man and wife couple don't reply. Lost a long time friend because of that. Wife didn't permit him to go and I wont leave her home when she wants to go. Of coarse she stays home a lot. Believing in friends need time alone from women.
Ok this post is getting TMI! Lets talk fishing now that every one knows me better. And if there is some who like fishing these lakes, but don't have a boats its fine. Just private message me and we'll talk and ill save your info. Can't promise when or where. Some will be planned others will be spur of the moment.If you can go fine if not fine. But with a list I can share trips with more people. Wife and husband, Boyfriends and girl friends would be great too.

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This month and next vibe lures will work great , thats a jiging lure ,
I have used vibes to cast on Berlin with ok results but jigging with them Ive never really done much jigging except crappie and ice fishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts