Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be going there next week wth a buddy of mine.
My best guess is that with this abnormal cooling we should consentrate on long points with deep water access close to the creek channel.
Am I close?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have been there many times but I was shore-bound and never able to really do any 'hot persuit'.
Did I mention that Ive never fished for walleye in my life? But the way it sounds I'll fish for crappie and end up catchin' walleye. But I'd really like to concentrate on one target fish.

·
WALLEYE WHISPERER
884 Posts
In the past few weeks done very well on south side trolling east shore 9 to 15 fow trolling shad raps in hot steel and yellow perch colors! 60 ft back. Bigger eyes r coming off hot steel!!! Im going out in morning not sure about cold front, gonna have to hunt em down!!!!!!!! Good luck hope this helps!

·
WALLEYE WHISPERER
884 Posts
Go to causeway [email protected] they will point u in eye direction. And they have them shad raps! Ive done better trolling than jigging in the weeds this year. Walleyes change day to day! Biggest eye this year is 22in caught last sat. Trolling. Lots of dinks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen some of the walleye that people keep from that lake. :confused:
Is there no size limit on the walleye at Mosquito?
If not, why not?
Maybe it's just me but under 15" is a catch and release senario in my book.
If I want to eat: crappies, perch, channels, even white bass or 'gills.

·
WALLEYE WHISPERER
884 Posts
Mine to 15 and under i throw back to grow . Ive fished the north end, seeing the amish stringers full of 12 inch (dinks)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I sure hope that by this time next week I can report back that I caught my first walleye ever, but I really got a taste for a nice crappie fish fry.................
But, if I catch a walleye (no matter what size) I can promise two things:
1) It will go back. (first fish of any species always go back)
2) I'll snap a picture and post it here.
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Got a whole mess of 8" perch, a few dink eye's, bunch of nice crappie (smallest kept was 9"/ biggest was 10.5") a few 8" gills.
Oh and my first, second, and third walleye.
And my buddy caught a nice channel.

·
Registered
16,822 Posts
Nice job Lou! How'd they taste?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We threw all those pretty (but small) perch back in to grow up a little so all I have are the bluegill, crappie and walleye. They are in the freezer cause I'm not done. I promised my dad a fish fry when he gets to feelin' a little better.
There were a few fish on the points that I spoke of in the first post (perch and crappie) but they seemed to be located for the most part on the main lake humps that had some structure on it. This time of year, the open water fish are constantly on the move but are still very structure oriented, at least that was the case yesterday.

·
Wishin I was Fishin
257 Posts
Nice catch Lou, were you drifting/trolling on the eye? I went to Pymy on the 5th and took home some small perch and one nice croppie. I too am waiting for my first eye.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
We marked the humps with fish or structure on them and drifted into them. I had a lindy bottom bouncer with a floating neon green teerdrop jig head/night crawler with a 2' lead on the walleye.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts