close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walleye Fillets -- How Clean?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fugarwi7, Jun 11, 2007.

1. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

In the past I have spent what is probably too much time nit-picking with the fillet knife to get all little spots of skin, flesh and misc. other stuff off of my fillets so when I freeze them, they are pure white fillets, with no other stuff on them. My question is, is this necessary or is it okay to have a little skin and flesh left on without having an affect on the taste? :confused:

2. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

silver is ok but obvisouly no skin

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

The less red looking meat and silver the better in my opinion

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I do not leave any silver or dark fatty meat.

If you need to work that hard after you clean the fish you really need to revise the cleaning procedure. If you are getting the silver left on the fillet you are putting too much pressure down onto the skin when removing the skin.

I use an electric knife and almost never have any silver or dark left on the fillet. I apply light pressure and try and leave a very thin layer of meat on the skin, then remove the ribs and I have a totally clean ready to cook of freeze fillet. On larger fish I will zipper them, smaller fish I don't.

5. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I had these fish cleaned at a cleaning station yesterday and Saturday and they have "uncleaned" spots all over them...I was too tired to "clean them up" last night so they went in the freezer "as is"...I was curious about about having to "clean them up" before cooking and I know now I will. I usually don't have alot of junk on them when I fillet them...of course I have some but not like this batch.

Thanks for some feedback on this.

6. There are too many cleaning stations that are not that good at cleaning as well as quite unsanitary which is why I NEVER take fish to them for cleaning.
    I showed my son how to clean a walleye and two fish later he was doing a respectable job. Just do a search on the site as there has been plenty of references to cleaning instructions. Bones and left over skin will be a thing of the past when you clean your own. it only takes two to three minutes to do a walleye completely and there isn't any real mess if you bleed the fish when you catch it.

7. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Shortdrift, do you really notice a difference in the taste of the fish if they are bled out? I have read that a lot of you guys do it, but I have never tried it out.

8. stormfront

stormfront Guest

toxic, a buddy of mine up at pymy started doing that years ago. cannot get over how clean the fillets looked. have been doing it for awhile. i think they taste better.

9. bled fish do taste better and there is no blood if bled rite, use a pair of scissors , i used scissors this past weekend on hedfields boat and it is a lot safer and easier than trying to cut them open!! just cut the gills!!

10. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Looks like I have been missing something. I'll give it a try this weekend.

11. I think there is a noticeable difference in taste with bled vs non bled fish. I think this is especially noticeable on the bigger 6lb and up fish as well. I've always bled mine. Bigger fish after zippering, i will carefully go over them to remove any traces of the "zipper" and any dark areas as well.

12. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Yep. We started bleeding the fish by cutting the gills with a pair of stainless steel kitchen scizzors. It seems a lot safer than trying to jab a sharp knife through the throat area while bouncing around in 1-3 or 2-4 footers. I actually think it even does a better job of completely bleeding the fish out.

I also spend quite a bit of time cleaning the pieces of fish after they have been filleted and zippered. I make sure there are absolutely no bones in them, and try and get as much of the red, fatty meat off of them as possible. I wash the pieces a minimum of four times in a big cooking pot, then freeze it.

13. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

yep, shortdrift showed me how to bleed out walleye last year and now ALL walleye get it. the fish taste better and the cleaning board is much cleaner. think im going to try the scissior method next time out. does seem a lot safer.

14. i bled the ones i caught sunday, and it made a big difference in cleaning them. a lot less mess on the board. :)

15. If you cut the red gills it will bleed out?

16. Excuse my ignorance, but, after you cut the gills do you just throw the fish in the box to bleed there? Thanks.

17. millrat, i put the fish in the livewell, run the pump, cut the gills, and let her bled out for about 10 min. then put her on ice.

18. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Best way I've found is to use a pair of wire cutters. Have a 5 or 6 gal. bucket with about a gal. of water in it and put the eye in head first and let it bleed out. The 6 gal. bucket that you buy the grape juice for wine making works real good. Put them on ice after a few minute, change water as needed....