Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the first fall I have ever really had the free time to fish.

I will be fishing for Walleye mostly at Milton and possibly berlin. I have read tons of books and it seems like each author has a different idea on where and how to fish. Some say troll deep, fish edges, others say 3-4 ft of water and cast in bays.

I have an aresnal of gear including my favorite Bottom bouncers and harnnesses and a ton of shad raps and I love trolling these things.. but I am open for anything since I havent really ever fished in the fall.

What kind of depth are the eyes gonna be heading to as the temp starts to drop. Should I keep trolling or start casting? Anyone got any secret spots in the fall on milton I should try? I got the summer and spring, nailed down pretty good at the lake, just need some ideas for the fall.

Milton was at 70 on sunday.. but I am betting its gonna be getting alot colder this week.

Also, I keep reading about Fall Cold Fronts killing fishing.. is it seriously that bad?

·
Registered
162 Posts
This will be the first fall I have ever really had the free time to fish.

I will be fishing for Walleye mostly at Milton and possibly berlin. I have read tons of books and it seems like each author has a different idea on where and how to fish. Some say troll deep, fish edges, others say 3-4 ft of water and cast in bays.

I have an aresnal of gear including my favorite Bottom bouncers and harnnesses and a ton of shad raps and I love trolling these things.. but I am open for anything since I havent really ever fished in the fall.

What kind of depth are the eyes gonna be heading to as the temp starts to drop. Should I keep trolling or start casting? Anyone got any secret spots in the fall on milton I should try? I got the summer and spring, nailed down pretty good at the lake, just need some ideas for the fall.

Milton was at 70 on sunday.. but I am betting its gonna be getting alot colder this week.

Also, I keep reading about Fall Cold Fronts killing fishing.. is it seriously that bad?

The best spot I know is an area called Carmichael reef or the sunken islands located directly in front of Mill Creek or Dutch harbor point. Find the creek channel that leads up to the sunken islands, walleye's hold on this ledge during the fall. Bait of choice; blade baits. As far as Milton is concerned find something on main lake similar and give it a try. But I know this spot on Berlin is a popular fall walleye hole!
P.S. should try for some smallmouth - Berlin is good for fall smallies!

·
Registered
530 Posts
There are some sunken islands at Milton similar to those at Berlin. They're in the North end of the lake (above I-76). If you put in at the Jersey St. Ramp, head due East most of the way across to the houses on the other shore. Check your sonar/gps and an ODNR map for reference. These will produce through anchor or drift jigging as well as trolling, though the latter is harder to maintain strike zone.

You can also try areas off the main channel like windblown shorelines, along the I-76 pilings, etc. For the pilings, I like 1-15ft depths, usually working in the bottom 5 feet of water.

Tell us how you do.

·
Equal opportunity fishing
4,287 Posts
Soon, 6ft or less will be loaded with fish. Caught them last Sunday in everything from 16' to 4' FOW. The "shoe" at Berlin is a great spot!! Good luck out there. You have to be very careful at Berlin right now, but the one nice thing......very little traffic!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
well once they drop milton its impossible to launch,only the locals on the lake and very small boats go out.depending on how late you want to fish til berlin can get one fire if you go out before daylight and fish the flats,cast up into as shallow as 2fow and rip bladebaits back or use husky jerks...twitch twitch pause.when i fished there 3 or 4 years ago i used to get them in the morning as shallow as a foot of water into 5 fow.then later in the day going to 12 to 35fow.whitebass as fun to catch as well.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
its usually mid october,im not sure on the exact date but it might be the 12th or 15th.and when they drop it they drop it pretty quick.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the information. I finally caught something from my boat. My hubby and I went this morning, and caught 2 cats on the northside of the 76 bridge. Thanks for the information, cause it definitely helped. Water temp down to 60. Last week it was 70.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I have been fishing Milton ALOT lately. If you're walleye fishing go into the river WAY past mills until you hit the mouth about 1/2 mile out from berlin. Shad are in so heavy that you'll find yourself foul-hooking a few of them. Troll your way from mills and you should get a nice walleye or two each passing. There is a big snag on the right side of the channel just as you hit the bend at the camp ground, so watch out and good luck!

·
shakesbeard
455 Posts
any tips or general locations for shore anglers (aside from those already given)? i have some experience shore fishing for walleye but not at milton and would like to give it a go this fall.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A guy on the boat ramp told me to go Jig Vibes.. we gave it a shot 2nite...

WOW..

7 eyes all keepers.

Good stuff.. and pixs to come shortly.

We just found the bait fish and jigged under them. Worked great

·
Banned
181 Posts
My favorite shore spot is below the milton dam. There are alot of snags, but also ALOT of big fish. Shad raps and floating rapalas seem to work best

1 - 12 of 12 Posts