Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a walleye today west of Green Is. The fish looked like it ate a football.When I cleaned it I discovered it still had eggs!The row sacks were hard and the eggs were small.Anyone see this before?

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Yes. I have caught several like this. For whatever reason some of the females don't or cannot release their eggs. If you let her go she will survive, the eggs will naturally breakdown and be reabsorbed. If you kept her, eat her !:p I discussed this with the biologists on the Seagrant website a couple of years back and that was the explanation they gave me.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I just cleaned a 27 incher caught at Lorain last night with what looked like she still had a full load of eggs in her.
Just like yours, she still had rows and they were all whiteish yellow color and hard clumps of them.
1 St time I ever saw it this late in the year.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
A question about eggs still in walleyes was posted recently on Ohio Seagrant. Here is the response from Fred Snyder:

"A certain number of females fail to spawn, for one reason or another, every year. They will gradually reabsorb the nutrients from those eggs back into their bodies. Walleye are long finished spawning for this year, but the catching certainly is great."

reo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts