close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walleye Chowder ?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by ashtonmj, Jan 18, 2005.

1. I am thinking of making a traditional chowder and using walleye.
    Any suggestions for me or personal recipies?

2. Pike

Pike

Here is a recipe found on Dean Cliftond's site for fish chowder. The recipe looks good and the site is loaded with tons of helpful information for fishing Erie. Also, never met him personally, but he seems like a super person.

http://www.cliftond.com/fish chowder.htm

3. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Broil the walleye first on a rack then add it to the chowder. This will remove some of the poo-poo that is in the fat...of course that is unless you like glowing in the dark ;)

4. Just made it the other day and wow am I good at this cooking stuff. If youve got people in your family wary of a fishy flavor this does not have it at all, very creamy, very sweet.

6 filets from 18-22"ers
    1lb crawfish tails
    1lb shrimp

Made 2 cups of stock with some shrimp tails and the juice from the crawfish.

Half a stick of butter into a big ole pot
    4 large carrots
    4 celery ribs
    half a large vidalia onion
    large amount of fresh parsley
    salt and cayenne pepper

5 minutes after i addes some flour and corn starch to thicken it up into a rue

cook for another 10 minutes stirring consistently to thicken up the vegetables

added the shrimp stock (took out the shrimp tails of course) and reseasoned

added 4 large red potatoes cut up into about 1/2 cubes and a can of corn

cooked another 5-10 minutes

added 3 cups milk and 16 0z of sour cream sirring in while adding slowly

cooked for 15 mintues stirred every 5

depending upon how you like your potatoes and how much liquid you have determines how much you need to cook from here on out, and you can always add water, which I did add about a cup to cook it longer.

Cubed up the fish into 1" pieces
    stiring and folding the fish into the soup for a couple minutes and then added the crawfish tails
    continued to fold the meat in and in another couple minutes I added the shrimp.
    Cooked everything for another 5 minutes.
    Let simmer very very lowfrom then out till serving.

5. That chowder recipe looks viable; however a couple of questions. Where did you find A vidalia onion in February and you did of course use fresh shrimp and crayfish right?
    Personally I would have thought that Walleye is too delicate for chowder. How long are you cooking it?

6. Well whether or not it was a true "vidalia" onion or not (ONLY from Vidalia Co. in GA) remains to be seen, not like Tops or Giant Eagle is actually going to tell you that. At the least it was a large yellow sweet onion. The crawfish were frozen, the shrimp were fresh, bought from a seafood market in Cleveland. The walleye held up great, some of it did flake off from the cubes but that is because I was stirring it a bit more than I wanted to and should have, because it was such a large pot. It made it more palletable though having flakes of walleye than just cubes of it. Overall cooking time was almost 2 hours, long time spent on everything before the seafood itself. The crawfish were pre-cooked so those were added very late, the fish obviuosly first because of its larger size and longer cooking time. I cooked it at about 10-12 minutes, the shrimp for 5+. I very very lightly simmered it after the 10 minutes, really not cooking it just keeping it warm to serve.

7. Sounds great! I was thinking that in place of Vidalia, the Texas or Washington equals might work . I take them and peel them then put them in a Zip Lock bag and refrigerate them for 3 or 4 days before using them. Makes them a lot sweeter. Of course the carrot and corn will sweeten the chowder as well. I will try this recipe as soon as I have the ingredients! You guys doing your own fish stocks make sure yiour ingredients are fresh else it will make the nastiest smelling/tasting stock you can imagine. If you can't get fresh shells; ergo, from fresh sea food, probably be better to use a vegetable stock from the store, unsalted one of course. Say, wouldyou mind if I share this recipe with the folk on my site?

8. definately feel free to share the recipe

I also agree on streshing the freshness of your seafood and fish in any stock and soup cooking.

I think I actually gave the early stock a shot of OJ to sweeten it up early on too. Didnt have any white wine or lemon on hand or I probably woulda used that.