Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a few buddies are headed up to the lake next week (6-28) to charter a boat. I can't remember the name of the charter but we'll be going out of the Port Clinton area. I was just wandering what kinda bite to expect. I assume the mayflies are hatching by now. I have been on headboats during the hatch before and never had any luck but never been on a charter before. The guys I am going with go every year about this time and always limit. I'm hoping to limit early so we can spend some time chasing some perch. Thanks for any info!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Should have no trouble catching Walleye, Really doubt the charter will also go after perch for you though. I know sounds nice

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charter allready told us that if we was to limit early then we could spend the rest of our time going for perch or smallies. Do other charters not do this? I paid for eight hours not 6 walleye. I guess I assumed they all operated like that.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We will be staying at Put in Bay from Thursday till Sunday for some partying. I plan to bring a couple rods. Are there any places on the island where the fishing might be good from the bank. I don't care what I catch. I'd be happy with smallies, walleye, or some perch. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Most charters advertise limit of fish, or eight hours, dock to dock. I don't think there are many that will go out, get each client six walleyes, then try and get each person an additional thirty perch, mark them off the list, then head out for smallmouth.

I know our sponsor, Reel Bad Habit Charters, offers a true eight hour fishing day. Not eight hours, dock to dock.

Never assume anything with a charter service. Ask plenty of questions before you go to avoid any unpleasant, or unexpected surprises.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are getting eight hours dock to dock but as mentioned above the captain said if we limit early we could go for some perch. Maybe Im being misinformed by my buddy who set the trip up. I'll have to check with him and see what the name of the charter is. Thanks for the help and I'll still take some tips on fishing from the bank on the island!!!

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Fishing was excellent last weekend even though there were large patches of dead mayfly's out on the lake. I'd image it's still good as long as the lake cooperates.

As far as charters, simply put some do some don't. Like Het said, it's probably only a handful of them that will put you on more than one species per trip.

·
Registered
571 Posts
some guys will take you out and get 6 wheezers and hustle back to scrounge a second trip---then ive been out and got a limit of 24" plus walleye and smallmouth fished the rest of the day---its the difference between a good guy and a bad guy

usaually you indicate what you want to target for the day

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've tried to find some good bank fishing at Put-in-Bay. I think your best bet is to go to the dock at the State campground, especially if the mayflies are thick in the water. Trying to fish from the break-walls near the monument can be a problem because you'll be towing in a huge pile of moss on every cast. Other access to open water might have you trespassing - be careful.

teeray

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll try the state area. I'd like to limit the amount of tackle I bring just because of the lack of space in the truck with so many of us going so what would be the best species to target in this area?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most of the fish I've seen taken around that pier are white bass, but I'd bet you could get some walleye or catfish there too. I don't think it is rocky enough around the pier to hold a lot of smallies.

teeray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts