walleye being caught at the hot water discharge at bayshore

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by walleyecraig, Feb 9, 2009.

1. me and 2 guys didnt have anything to do sunday morning and my buddy had heard of a walleye being caught here and there at bayshore, so we decided we'd give it a shot. we were wading out and casting right by the bridge and letting our carolina rigs float out towards the lake and landed 2 in almost 2 hours of fishing, and hooked into one but lost it.

im not much of an ice fishing guy so this should get me by till the run in the spring!

if we catch anymore next weekend i will post pics

2. What is the location of this spot? I am ready to start fishing and was thinking about giving it a try?

3. over in east toledo behing the edison plant, im not sure of the name of the road but there are signs saying bayshore fishing access

4. Just look for the big crowd this weekend. Shouldn't be hard to find. ;)

5. That would be Bayshore Road actually. It's at the Northwest end of Eagles Landing golf course in Oregon. It's also pretty much down the street from the Maumee Bay State Park entrance. The road in front of MBSP is Cedar Point, if you go west on that, take Wynn Rd North and the fishing access is a left turn and a quick right.

6. Could someone maybe fill me in a little more on this? how does it compare to the maumee river walleye run? same tactics and success rates? im goin home to get my gear this weekend and would love to get an early start.

7. well it definatly doesnt compare to the river run, but for those walleye guys like me its a great alternative to getting out on the ice, and catching a few walleye before the run... i like to think of it as a warm up...

8. BOO

BOO HUA!!!!

I m thinking about going down there monday, I've never been there, do you need waders to fish down there or can you fish from shore. Also any advice on what type of lure is best down there any info would help.

thanks
    Jeremy

9. BOO

BOO HUA!!!!

Also the edison plant, is that the Thomas Edison Plant off of I280, that maybe another spot we may hit.

10. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

You wade out
    -waders
    Muddy fast flowing that you can get lucky in :)
    Nice little area
    There is also a boat launch nearby
    never seen anyone boat fish it??? shallow???

11. BOO

BOO HUA!!!!

whats the best setup for down there, a carolina? any advice

12. real heavy jigs 1oz is best fast water.it is hot water discharg.some people use egg sinkers with the 1oz jigs.make long cast crank real slow.most fish are snagged.rough crowd also.long walk from parking lot.people will raid your car while you fish.night time is the best time to fish.cant get cold feels like bath water.game wardens are scared to go back there.

13. i did just fine using a carolina rig with a 1/2oz weight and my car did not get raided haha. but you are right about DNR, they dont get paid enough to make that long walk back there

14. just because you had no problem this time you better knock on wood.i know of alot of people that have been vandleized there just a warning for fellow ogfrs.thats kind of like telling every body to go to crane creek right now.ps not my first rodeo

15. thanks for the report.i have done very well there for big pre spawn walleye in the past.will have to give it a try soon.good cure for cabin fever.i have noticed this area go down hill since the zebra mussel cleared the water.they are more skidish to come in through the shallow water to get there.

16. no problem. im heading back down there saturday ill let you guys know how i did

17. things are picking up there , the only problem is the water is chocolate, fish can't see. the walleye are there , but the only you catch them right now, is by snaggin. kind of a bummer, im goin to wait a few days and then go back.

18. pig

pig

going out here tonight will post if i do any good

19. pig

pig

while we went out there for about 1 hour lots of minnows but not one fish will try sunday night

20. u know ur not allowed to fish after a sunset down there . they disallowed night fishing.