close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walleye at Berlin?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ralfff, May 28, 2008.

1. Fishing Berlin Sunday need a little help, anything. Live on Lake Erie coming down for just one day. Don't know where to start. Help!

2. you live on the walleye capital of the world and your'e coming to berlin?????????

3. you know how it is, the grass is always greener on the other side. you;d be better off a mosquito, berlin is NOT one of my better lakes, some do ok there [mostly a ski lake. ]

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Generally you will get bigger Walleyes at Berlin than Mosquito. You may not get as many but they will have more meat on them there.

5. Walleye 3

Walleye 3 Mongo

Try the humps that are off of the Army Corp ramp. They top out in about 7 feet of water. I had been getting them there with jigs and crawlers. Red and Pink have been my best colors. If there is no wind to drift, pull yourself with your electric motor and .5 to .8 has been the best speed. The best depth has been 10 feet on the edges of the humps. You will have to work through 14 inchers but the bigger eyes are there. They is alos a lot of smallmouth, catfish and crappies in the area too. If the jigs don't work try trolling shad raps around 2 mph. Silver/blue, Firetiger, and perch patterns are best. Good luck and get out there early.

6. Good response, walleye3. That makes me want to get out there right now! Most people don't give this much info on there fave. spot! Thanks, again.
    ps-Where IS the Army Corp ramp. I'm fairly familiar with the lake but that is new to me?!

7. Yea, Moved here from Louisville, it is the best fishing I've ever seen for everything, just going to spend the day fishing with a friend. It's also nice to change up a little, fish a shore line with small jigs lite line maybe try some lake Erie patterns on what I use to think was a huge lake. I used to be afraid of Berlin now it seem like a pond. Having said that I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier to catch fish. Thanks.

8. Couldn't agree any more with Walleye3 all the way around. Friends and myself included have been doing basically the same thing there with the same results. Also try short casting/jigging Hopkins spoons in that same area. Concentrate on the edges of the humps. Find what depth you are marking fish and cast the length of the edges at that depth. (if that makes sense) gold or nickle fished plain catches everything that swims. Swap the original hooks for Gamagatzus or other quality sticky hooks. It makes a big difference. I have caught walleye, crappie, rock bass and even a giant shad with them in that same spot this year. Not snagged, but caught.

9. Walleye 3

Walleye 3 Mongo

The humps are between 224 and the train bridge. You will see the army corp. ramp on the left side of the lake as you go up the lake from the 224 bridge. There will be a lot of people lauching there. Just go out from the ramp and you will find the humps. If you don't just look for depth changes, I have been getting fish just about anywhere in that area in 10 feet of water. Also go as light as you can with your jigs, it has been making a big difference. 1/16 th has been best but 1/8 should do the trick.

10. Walleye 3

Walleye 3 Mongo

Milton has also been good the last two weeks.

11. I am shore bound and could'nt agree more with the small jig thing. I usually tip with minnow and when i mix small with medium the bigger the minnow the lesser the bite resulting from. Depending on the wind and waves I never go heavier than 1/8. If it's too windy then put a split shot a foot or so up from your jig this helps a lot.

12. now that the "cats out the bag" on the spot for walleye,might as well tell you what i've been producing with.............leeches on floating jigs w/a stinger hook.finding leeches is difficult but if you give them what they want,they will eat!!!!!snell length up to 6' or more.............they've been hammerin them.lotta throw back fish but every once in a while you'll get a good one.gettin bit between 22' and 9' but that 10' to 15' zone is where i try to stay adrift.cant find leeches???????holla @ me

13. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Martha probably has some at Les's Bait!

14. Walleye 3

Walleye 3 Mongo

It seems early for leeches but thanks for the heads up. I love to use them at the end of June and in July when the fish have been pounded and are looking for something different. I drove by on 224 today and the lake was rough and the area I have been fishing is now very dirty. It will be real good in there in a day or two if the wind stops.

15. Caught around 15 walleye today.. 4 were keepers. All caught from shore with a jig and crawler or jig and leech. Only fished two hrs and they were still biting good when i left.

16. fishnguy. Did you fish these jigs off a bobber?

17. my brother and i fished out of the boat to did real good. we got 7 walleye that was 16 to 18 in range and alot of 14 to 15in walleye. we got our fish on half of a worm and pink and yellow jig fised in 11 feetwas the best for us just kept working a small pocket we found

18. gbourne.........No bobber buddy..just bouncing on the bottom

19. went out today from 6-2pm.bite heated up @10am........fishin' the humps again........caught every 14.5 inch walleye in the lake....with 6 legals.....white 1/16 oz roadrunners w/a stinger and crawler worked the best.......biggest 2 over 20" caught on floating jig/leech........need a steady breeze and some clouds and i'm all in.............

20. Got two keepers today one in 11 ft-one in 2 ft! The 2 ft.(largest) one was caught in full sun at 2 PM!! Go figure!