Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

My cuz and I are planning a long,one day float trip that is in close proximity to Coshocton(where he lives).I have narrowed it down to one of these 2 rivers and would like some feedback regarding them.I fish but he doesnt so I have a willing navigator;).Also,all catch and release for me.For the Walhonding,maybe put in at Mohawk Dam and float to Coshocton-not sure of the distance.And for the Tusky,maybe Gnadenhutten to Coshocton.What do ya'll think?
Wanted to thank Andyman for the help while picking his brain too.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Gnaden to Coshocton is quite a trip on the Tusc. especially if you are fishing. We do a 6 mile float in newcomerstown sometimes that can take 8-10 hours if the fishing is good. You could do Newcomerstown to Coshocton. I've never done that stretch before.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rocknfish,

My parents live near the Walhonding and I was over there Saturday. The Tuscarawas looked very muddy, but Walhonding looked good. In terms of time, it would be a long trip from Mohawk dam to Coshocton especially if you stop to fish any holes. I would say Mohawk dam to Warsaw would be about a nice trip or to the 6 mile dam. You will have to portage around the 6 mile dam if you are going all the way to Coshocton.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You bring up a good point Marshall...will want to stop here and there to fish holes im sure.We are planning on getting on the river by 8:00 am and get done just before dark.Bluegillin,would the Mohawk Dam to Warsaw trip fit that bill?How is the smallie fishin in that stretch?Anyone else know?

·
Banned
790 Posts
Below Mohawk is a good trip. It's been a while but I believe we always take out at Warsaw.
Smallie fishing can be outstanding, or very challenging. Also not the most scenic stretch of river in the state.
What I do know is that if it is a challenging day with the smallies, there are plenty of pike in that stretch to keep you occupied. Fairly common to catch a handful of pike for each guy, even when targeting smallies.

I got caught in a thunder storm there once. Long story short is I ended up waiting it out in this dude Randy's trailor and getting just flat out hammered with him and his buddies. That guy was GREAT.
If you go, say hey to Randy. Worth the entire trip...

·
Multi Species Angler
6,188 Posts
Rocknfish the Fish Ohio Canoe Club is doing an all day float on the Tusc River on Saturday 6/27/09. Always fun to float and fish with others. You may want to join up with those guys. Check out the events thread for the where and when.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rocknfish - I was on vacation in Florida so I apologize for my lack of response. So did you end up hitting the Walhonding? If so, did you have any luck on the smallies?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts