Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Very shallow west of Reeder. I saw two big swans standing out in the middle just west of reeder this past weekend. Many of my places I cannot get to anymore in Walborn. Quit fishing there about a month ago due to low water.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would say closer to 3-4 feet down. There is ground showing in the middle of the lake by the marina, and shallow water buoys in the same area. That was as of Friday evening. About a month ago, I saw a boater run aground in the same area. Of course, they put the buoys out the following week

·
grip master
886 Posts
I would say closer to 3-4 feet down. There is ground showing in the middle of the lake by the marina, and shallow water buoys in the same area. That was as of Friday evening. About a month ago, I saw a boater run aground in the same area. Of course, they put the buoys out the following week
That is gettin low...I guess it has been 2 weeks since I was there.
But....The low water ain't gonna hurt the fishing.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Hows the new ramp at Deer Creek?
I never cared for the old one, that's for sure.
It’s real nice , lot is all paved , nice ramp but it has a concrete dock, so boat bumpers would be handy if by yourself. Goose poo was bad last year all over ramp and dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Walborn Deer Creek Mahoning River and Westville are all part of Alliance water supply one rumor is that that they are using water from Walborn to keep Deer Creek up another rumor is that they are using Walborn to keep up with demand because of draught I say FREE WALBORN LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Walborn is very low. I was just out there today. I would be pretty hesitant to put anything other than a smaller aluminum boat, kayak, or canoe in. As far as the reasoning for the low levels, obviously the drought doesn't help, but its because the dam is leaking. If you walk back and look you can see water just flowing out. I have heard from a few trustworthy sources that Stark Parks and the Army Corp of Engineers are in a pissing match as to who's responsibility it is to fix. So until someone decides to fix it, it will just keep leaking.....its a shame.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well hear we go again we waste so much money on unproductive people or interest groups or political types stealing money that one day a damn will break loose and kill lots of people!! They will blame it on covid tho!
That's why in the covid-19 thread a lot of guys were saying they would pay more money 4 licenses so we would get more in return that's why I disagree total waste of money that we pay now and so little in return

·
SOLID MEAT
5,739 Posts
That's why in the covid-19 thread a lot of guys were saying they would pay more money 4 licenses so we would get more in return that's why I disagree total waste of money that we pay now and so little in return
What does a drought and dam failure (it's owned by a municipality, not the state) have to do with license fees?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
What does a drought and dam failure (it's owned by a municipality, not the state) have to do with license fees?
my statement was in regards to the comment of paying more for licence and we would get more and I used the dam as a example of No one want to shell out money for needed repairs to a dam that's dangerous if it breaks so do people expect the extra money would go for more stocking improved ramp access and why if owned by a municipality why stark park and army corp pay the bill Money needs to come from somewhere oh what money grows on trees

·
SOLID MEAT
5,739 Posts
my statement was in regards to the comment of paying more for licence and we would get more and I used the dam as a example of No one want to shell out money for needed repairs to a dam that's dangerous if it breaks so do people expect the extra money would go for more stocking improved ramp access and why if owned by a municipality why stark park and army corp pay the bill Money needs to come from somewhere oh what money grows on trees
Dam repair money, because of the cost, can not be budgeted for. It normally comes from a government grant.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Dam repair money, because of the cost, can not be budgeted for. It normally comes from a government grant.
Your right dangerous situation if not taken care of Looking in hindsight I wonder how much money is set aside each year for repairs or replacement down the road dam is how old I wonder when they put the dam in did they expect it to last forever and I know our licence fees extra permit fees and extra sporting good taxes don't go for dam repair they go for stocking and improvements But are we getting our moneys worth? I feel to much mismanagement going on

·
SOLID MEAT
5,739 Posts
Your right dangerous situation if not taken care of Looking in hindsight I wonder how much money is set aside each year for repairs or replacement down the road dam is how old I wonder when they put the dam in did they expect it to last forever and I know our licence fees extra permit fees and extra sporting good taxes don't go for dam repair they go for stocking and improvements But are we getting our moneys worth? I feel to much mismanagement going on
The dam isn't very old. I was damaged during either during routine maintenance or someone shot it. It's been a while since I heard the story. The real issue is the system that is used is not very popular because it has some issues, as mentioned above. BUT, I agree, money should be set aside slowly, the issue is who owns the dam and who is liable. I am not sure anyone wants to own a dam and maintain it. If the arm corp of engineers maintains it, they usually also own it and does the maintenance, but I am not sure about of walborn, even though it flows into berlin which is army maintained.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts