Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
grip master
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bass Fishin Walborn this morning, got these 2 Wiper on back to back cast.
Man...You talk about stripping drag...OMG!
One was 11.5 lb. and the other was 9.5 lb.
Pounded my Crank-Bait 3 or 4 times before I hooked'em.
Glad I was
using a big rod... 7ft. 6in. MH Diawa rod and a Shimano Curado preformed beautifully.

·
Fish Ninja
147 Posts
Niiiiice fish! Were you over near the dam?

·
grip master
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No but they are probably around there.
All the activity I have seen is on the south side of Price St.
all the way south to the main point. With the warmer water, you will see activity
in the early AM (a must) just about anywhere. I've seen them many times in groups at the surface.
Got them on Crank-Baits, Swim-Baits, Buzz-Baits, Spinner-Baits, even a Ned-Rig.
They are feeding machines, and POUND a lure. Kinda with they wouldn't put them in there.
Ain't gonna help the Bass population.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dang those are some fine fish. I’m itching to find some wipers this summer. They’re mostly an open water fish, right? Chasing schools of baitfish?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
No but they are probably around there.
All the activity I have seen is on the south side of Price St.
all the way south to the main point. With the warmer water, you will see activity
in the early AM (a must) just about anywhere. I've seen them many times in groups at the surface.
Got them on Crank-Baits, Swim-Baits, Buzz-Baits, Spinner-Baits, even a Ned-Rig.
They are feeding machines, and POUND a lure. Kinda with they wouldn't put them in there.
Ain't gonna help the Bass population.
or the Crappie population Walborn last year nice crappie but with the wiper population going up Almost non existing on south side

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Guys the lakes and rivers I fish that have been stocked with wipers for years have not declined in bass or crappie fishing. Yes they will eat anything that will fit in there mouth but like most freshwater predator fish they prefer and mostly eat shad.
Same deal as muskie. Ya they eat bass and crappie and everything else that swims. But for the most part there diet consist of shad and other rough fish. There more available and easier to hunt down and eat.
The DNR put in work and time before these lakes get stocked. They do studies to determine if there's enough bait fish to support the population. And I believe they even go as far as checking things out down stream from stockings. Knowing that these fish are nomads and will end up in most body's of water connected to were they was first stocked.
Enjoy them why we got them. It's a program that could go away anytime since they are not self sustaining once they stop stocking them they eventually disappear.
I feel lucky to have them stocked in a lake near me. They are the hardest hitting fish in freshwater pound for pound,and in the right situation one of the hardest fighting fish pound for pound. They can eat well if taken care of properly. And they do good just about everywhere they stock them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Guys the lakes and rivers I fish that have been stocked with wipers for years have not declined in bass or crappie fishing. Yes they will eat anything that will fit in there mouth but like most freshwater predator fish they prefer and mostly eat shad.
Same deal as muskie. Ya they eat bass and crappie and everything else that swims. But for the most part there diet consist of shad and other rough fish. There more available and easier to hunt down and eat.
The DNR put in work and time before these lakes get stocked. They do studies to determine if there's enough bait fish to support the population. And I believe they even go as far as checking things out down stream from stockings. Knowing that these fish are nomads and will end up in most body's of water connected to were they was first stocked.
Enjoy them why we got them. It's a program that could go away anytime since they are not self sustaining once they stop stocking them they eventually disappear.
I feel lucky to have them stocked in a lake near me. They are the hardest hitting fish in freshwater pound for pound,and in the right situation one of the hardest fighting fish pound for pound. They can eat well if taken care of properly. And they do good just about everywhere they stock them.
Hey buddy, I can never find any info on how many the DNR stocks in Walborn or if they even still do stock them. I believe they don’t reproduce so it’s best to release them if you like to keep catching them?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bass Fishin Walborn this morning, got these 2 Wiper on back to back cast.
Man...You talk about stripping drag...OMG!
One was 11.5 lb. and the other was 9.5 lb.
Pounded my Crank-Bait 3 or 4 times before I hooked'em.
Glad I was View attachment 471164 using a big rod... 7ft. 6in. MH Diawa rod and a Shimano Curado preformed beautifully. View attachment 471165
Those are beauties, glad u released them, I’ve tried Walborn twice this year with my fly rod, had one on below the spillway briefly a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Hey buddy, I can never find any info on how many the DNR stocks in Walborn or if they even still do stock them. I believe they don’t reproduce so it’s best to release them if you like to keep catching them?
Correct... But if they are being stocked there's nothing wrong with keeping them,and to a point even if there not being stocked any longer. Who's to say that fish isn't going to kill off an hour after being caught on a hot day.... But I do agree. If they are no longer being stocked then it's best to release them safely if u wanna chance at you or someone else catching it again.
For your guys sake I hope they continue to be stocked. They are fun fish. And if there's any type of river system below this lake then chances are there swimming around in it as well....
Good luck guys...

·
Fish Ninja
147 Posts
Caught 8 at a nearby lake a few days ago. 8 lbs each. All on Flicker Shads. First time since the 90’s WB heydays. These fish are insane! I hear they taste ok too. I rarely keep any fish so they went back in. Thank you ODNR.
I agree, thank you DNR! Personally its the only fish I really target in the Chain. They all go back. Who know when the DNR will stop stocking them. Plus plenty of folks mistake them for WB and sadly take more than their limit.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,769 Posts
Awesome catch! Thanks for the report. I'm gunna have to drive down and try sometime. Never been there. Maybe I'll just try off price street overpass. No boat so maybe someday ill be out there from the shoreline.

·
grip master
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is as good as any. They have been caught all along Price St.
Or...Walk the trail that leads to the point south of the Ramp about 300yrd.
Shallow straight out from the point, 12-15 off to the sides.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,769 Posts
That is as good as any. They have been caught all along Price St.
Or...Walk the trail that leads to the point south of the Ramp about 300yrd.
Shallow straight out from the point, 12-15 off to the sides.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
spoke with Karen and Debbie Downer although they agree with stripper being a fun fish to catch they don't think who ever stocked Walborn put much thought into it. just like the time they drained the lake to repair the dam they forgot the fish lived in the water, the smell lasted for months. Both thought why didn't they stock a lake known for crappie and Bass Lake with Bass and Crappie Ask some of the bank fisherman who fish for Pan fish their honey holes didn't catch Chit and these holes produced fish year after year people would come from Canton Ravenna all over for the crappie that now are MIA Stripper's are a fierce eaters but Karen said they may eat everything in front of them but most people don't like to eat them! and Karen likes Crappie as a lot of people do LOL and Debbie went on to say Stark Parks They sure do a nice job cutting the grass and making it pretty at the park But when the grass is so tall along the lake shore line, that it tickles her Old mans Privates when he walks to his fishing hole both Deer Creek and Walborn (happened to me too) some one is not doing their job Karen said that that is the townships job and perhaps the county job Personally I don't care who's job it is Cut the grass LOL And hey I'm not complaining I like catching Stripper's I caught over a dozen 4 and 5 pounders and a 8 1/2 pounder that made the drag sing and of course they will be people who will say that the stripper's had nothing to do with the MIA crappie there ME ? ! nah I'll just get out my heavier poles and heavy line out and wait for the next stocking LMAO

Reactions: 1MoreKast
1 - 20 of 83 Posts