close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walborn tips

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Huntinbull, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Planning on fishing Walborn for crappie and maybe some bass. Anyone have any tips, advice, spots thay would like to share? Never fished the lake before due to the HP limit. Now that Im 9.9 friendly, its ON!

Huntinbull

2. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

Walborn is a deceptive lake - there are lots of deep holes but when you look out across the lake it seems like it's very shallow.

From the marina go to the right under the Price Rd. bridge - that area right under the bridge and curving to the right (east) is the original channel that has lots of ledges and deeper spots. Crappie love to hang out around there - I've caught plenty of good size crappie while using lipless cranks for bass.

If you go to the left (south) out of the marina you will follow that same channel which is between 12 and 16 feet deep. Same types of ledges and drops with some brush, stumps, rocks and other cover that hold the crappie. Keep following that channel around the point, hang a left and head toward the dam and you'll run into crappie and some bass along the way.

In my experience Walborn is stingy with bass - but when you find them they tend to be good size. There aren't many dinks that will chase bass lures. The problem with Walborn is the water color; it always looks like chocolate milk and so there isn't much grass or weeds that the bass would do well in - especially during the spawn.

You'll have fun - just observe your depth finder for those sudden humps that will chew up your prop in a hurry!

Bob

3. Thanks for the advice. Hoping to hit it next week some time. Any colors that do better than others in the muddy water? Let me guess, any color that rattles? Thanks again for the heads up.

Huntinbull

4. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

Chartreuse and blue in crankbaits, chartreuse and white in spinners.

Bob

5. Try 3 1/2 inch sour grape tube jigs with 1/8 to 1/16 bullet weights. Fish brush where ever you find it. good bass and crappie you will most likely catch both using this tube. We have been slamming both with good size. Don't be suprised if you catch some larger channel cats this way also. Good luck.

6. i go out of the ramp north under bridge and to the left theres a point off shore thats on the nw shore fish out from it with minnows.Also drift with the wind the center of that bay north of the bridge till you locate fish.
    fred

7. The place where redear is talking about, is where i caught one of my biggest so far. Got it on a chart. fat a bomber. Great lake bring back the eyes. Down by the dam with a white fuzzy grub tipped with minnow for croppie.

8. Any news on those lttle walleye they stocked in there some time ago? I heard they never grew up! Imagine that!!

9. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Maybe they never got a chance, as in someone took 'em home before their prime!!

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I know Walborn is a <10hp lake but are there no wake areas anywhere on the lake or can I open up the motor and plow around the lake?
    I've only shore fished and kayak fished this lake.

Thanks

11. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

The only no-wake area that I'm aware of is the area around the Price Road bridge. There are shallow water markers (take them seriously! There are spots where it gets real shallow real fast... :eek: ) but that's about it.

Bob

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Thanks Erterbass!

13. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

i live ten minutes from walborn and if there is one lake that has really got the best of me it is dale walborn... I have caught 2 bass in 20 plus fishing trips on the lake oh the other hand i have caught 100's of fish below the spillway mostly carp, catfish, and teany gills.... I have a 9.9 now and am going to give it another shot... I really would like a 5lb+ bass its been awhile and i have never caught a truely big bass outside of a farm pond.... Good luck to you guys...There are big bass in there...and i don't think any of the eyes have held which is unfortunate....

14. Speaking of the walleye, my nephew caught a 10.? lb walleye from walborn. They caught several keepers on that trip. That was last may. I can get more details if you want.

Huntinbull

15. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

Dan, you're right. There's something about Walborn that is just a little off.

It looks like a shallow lake thanks to the water color and some of the vegetation that is that "scrub" type that you usually find in shallow ponds and lakes. And yet there are some deep areas along the old creek channel (the deepest I've found is 24 feet) that have some great structure for bass like rock piles, old stumps, ledges, etc.

If you've got a depth/fish finder to go along with that 9.9 you'll be in pretty good shape. Think non-visible structure fishing rather than the "pound the bank" fishing style and you'll find the bass.

Take the challenge - fish Walborn! ;)

Bob

16. Williamonioca, Just West of Limaville Ohio. Just North West of Alliance.

Thanks all for the tips and help on the fishing. Hoping to put it to good use this week.

About the submerged structure. Some of my favorite spots in Nimi as well as West branch are the depth changes and humps, grassy underwater hills in Nimi really do well for me through the summer.

Huntinbull