Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hit the scioto about 7 pm tonight and caught this smallie on the first cast. Got him on a watermelon red magic senko. It only dropped about 2 feet down, he hit it and must have come 2-3 feet straight up out of the water. Great fight bringing him in! Caught 3 more smallies on Senkos after that but this guy made my night!

Attachments

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Great fish! I'm with Dealz, I get hot just looking at you.
Were you wading with a dude in shorts? If so, I watched you guys fish for a little while under the bridge where you can pull down to the river.

EDIT: I just clicked all the way on the photo. Man!! GREAT fish!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted by Bubbagon View Post
... I get hot just looking at you.
haha, that cracked me up! Neoprene's aren't too bad with gym shorts, mid 70's last night and cooler on the water.

Bubbagon, we weren't in that area last night although I do like to fish there!

mr.basskisserjunior, set the senko to go weedless and just let it sink, when it hits the bottom, give it a smooth lift with the bail open so it just jumps a little bit. kept the movement slow and never jerky. Unfortunately i only brought 3 senko's down with me and I lost each one with each fish, they were absolutely all over those things!

·
Registered
304 Posts
haha, that cracked me up! Neoprene's aren't too bad with gym shorts, mid 70's last night and cooler on the water.

Bubbagon, we weren't in that area last night although I do like to fish there!

mr.basskisserjunior, set the senko to go weedless and just let it sink, when it hits the bottom, give it a smooth lift with the bail open so it just jumps a little bit. kept the movement slow and never jerky. Unfortunately i only brought 3 senko's down with me and I lost each one with each fish, they were absolutely all over those things!
Interesting way of working them. I've had success in ponds by casting out the 3" to 5" senkos. No weight on them...rigged weedless on 3/0 or 4/0 offset hook. I cast out and take slack out. I just twitch it one to three times. slight but direct twitches. Let it fall while slowly taking slack out. I can stress enough how slow it is. it's like a half turn on an ultra light :). repeat. This is best tactic I have.

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
If you ever want a different look, try wacky rigging one with a circle hook.
Gives it a whole new look, fall and action.
I don't remember why I stopped fishing Senkos...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The gills and rock bass tear them to pieces lots of times for me in the Scioto.
I like the 4" ones wacky rigged but then again since they are smaller get tore up by the small fish. Great overall bait though.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,182 Posts
If you ever want a different look, try wacky rigging one with a circle hook.
Gives it a whole new look, fall and action.
I don't remember why I stopped fishing Senkos...
I don't fish them nearly enough. I tend toward faster baits like inline spinners, spinner-baits, Joe's flies, Big Joshy's, etc. because that's how I prefer to fish. (Having ADHD doesn't help.) I've gotten a lot better this year switching over to tubes, senkos, and shallow cranks when I'm not getting any action on the bladed stuff.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You'll get a lot more mileage out of your senko with the wacky rig and an o-ring. The hook doesn't rip them up. I also prefer using the weedless around wood and rocky structure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't fish them nearly enough. I tend toward faster baits like inline spinners, spinner-baits, Joe's flies, Big Joshy's, etc. because that's how I prefer to fish. (Having ADHD doesn't help.) I've gotten a lot better this year switching over to tubes, senkos, and shallow cranks when I'm not getting any action on the bladed stuff.
Yeah...it's tough to have the patience. The smaller tubes get smaller fish. I have bluegill attacking my 3 inch senko. They tend to stay away from the 5". I'm having no luck with the spinners.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
...I'm having no luck with the spinners...
Really..? Even dinks? I stopped useing spinners for a long time b/c ill catch 100 fish , but they will all be 7 in or less.

Recently I had the bright idea to try large spinners 1/6oz + rooster tails, and #3 Mepps. This helps keep the dinks away.

Funny thing is try as I might , I always strike out with wacky worms. This summer I been really focusing on trying new presentations, and I have spent many an hour with the wacky worm and nothing to show for it. I bought a pack of KVD 5" Ochos a few days ago , I will give them a shot this weekend wacky rigegd.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Really..? Even dinks? I stopped useing spinners for a long time b/c ill catch 100 fish , but they will all be 7 in or less.

Recently I had the bright idea to try large spinners 1/6oz + rooster tails, and #3 Mepps. This helps keep the dinks away.

Funny thing is try as I might , I always strike out with wacky worms. This summer I been really focusing on trying new presentations, and I have spent many an hour with the wacky worm and nothing to show for it. I bought a pack of KVD 5" Ochos a few days ago , I will give them a shot this weekend wacky rigegd.
NOTHING on spinners. Maybe I'm working them too fast. I dunno. I've tried spinners, chatter, Pop-R...nothing. Maybe we should get together and trade secrets!

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,182 Posts
NOTHING on spinners. Maybe I'm working them too fast. I dunno. I've tried spinners, chatter, Pop-R...nothing. Maybe we should get together and trade secrets!
I've caught a ton of nice fish on 1/16 to 1/8 oz Worden's rooster tails over the years in small streams and rivers. They seem to be especially effective during pre-spawn, but I rely on them year round, especially when the fish are actively feeding. I think the biggest downside to spinners, however, is that it's hard to fish them deep. (There are deep runner inlines but I tend to snag the bottom too often.) One thing you can do is to put splitshot about a foot above the bait to add some depth to your retrieve. Also, are you targetting the right spots? You might be fishing empty water...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've caught a ton of nice fish on 1/16 to 1/8 oz Worden's rooster tails over the years in small streams and rivers. They seem to be especially effective during pre-spawn, but I rely on them year round, especially when the fish are actively feeding. I think the biggest downside to spinners, however, is that it's hard to fish them deep. (There are deep runner inlines but I tend to snag the bottom too often.) One thing you can do is to put splitshot about a foot above the bait to add some depth to your retrieve. Also, are you targetting the right spots? You might be fishing empty water...
Well, i'm just getting back in to it. I've tried spinners at Alum inlets, a couple ponds, griggs near hayden falls, below griggs, and on oshaughnessy. I'm relatively new...just need to keep trying. Fished AEP last saturday. I didn't use anything but tubes and plastics and did ok with those so I just kept fishing them.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
They work best for me right below runs , cast into a run and retrieve fast enough to get the blade to spin going with the current. The fish will usually hit the second the spinner exits the run, but sometimes they will hit it in the run.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They work best for me right below runs , cast into a run and retrieve fast enough to get the blade to spin going with the current. The fish will usually hit the second the spinner exits the run, but sometimes they will hit it in the run.
That's good info there. I'll have to try that next time in moving water with runs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts